Teen behind the wheel in crash that killed 3 brothers - New York News

Teen behind the wheel in crash that killed 3 brothers

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

A two-vehicle collision in southwest Phoenix has resulted in the death of three children, all in the same family. Their 16-year-old brother was allegedly driving on a learner's permit.

Ambulances rushed to the scene of a crash near 59th Avenue and Southern Monday around 7:00 a.m. after the head-on collision of a car and a minivan.  

The teenage driver of the van was heading westbound and tried to pass a car when he lost control and slammed into another vehicle head-on.

Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump says several children were ejected from the van.

"When our officers arrived here and firefighters arrived they were literally finding bodies.. one of the bodies was up in the field here behind them that had been ejected from the vehicle.. so it doesn't appear as though restraining devices were going to be used either."

As of Monday afternoon, three male children, brothers ages 5, 8, and 11, have died as a result of the crash. The surviving occupants of the vehicle, aside from the driver, are 4, 12, and 14. They were also hospitalized, and the 4-year-old girl remains in critical condition.

A 16-year-old boy was driving the minivan. Police say he did not have a valid driver's license. He is expected to survive.

"Our detectives are suspecting that there is some sort of impairment with the 16-year-old and we did obtain a search warrant for blood to try to make that determination," said Sgt. Crump.

The driver of the opposite vehicle, a 40-year-old man, is in extremely critical condition.

Police believe the teenager and his siblings were heading to school. They are trying to locate their parents to see if he was allowed to drive the van on his own or if he took it without permission. It doesn't appear that anyone in the van had been wearing a seatbelt.

"We still have individuals who are clinging to life and so we are going to let this finish out. We are going to let our investigators finish. We will look at all the actions and we will work with the county attorney on whether charging is appropriate," added Crump.

No names have been released in this case.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices