Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspension - New York News

Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspension

Jhonny Peralta Jhonny Peralta
  • Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspensionMore>>

Jhonny Peralta issues apology and statement of regret

Monday, August 5 2013 3:20 PM EDT2013-08-05 19:20:30 GMT
    Peralta: In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers' organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball, and my family.

Detroit Tigers offer statement regarding Jhonny Peralta

Monday, August 5 2013 3:13 PM EDT2013-08-05 19:13:57 GMT
    "We recognize the suspension of Jhonny Peralta for violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as a measure taken in the best interest of the game."
DETROIT (WJBK) -

More than a dozen Major League Baseball players have been suspended for doping, including the highest paid player in the game and Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta.

It was definitely a historic day as the suspensions were finally handed down in the BioGenesis investigation that found 13 players used performance enhancing drugs from the Miami clinic.

The biggest blow was delivered to Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who was hit with a 211 game suspension without pay that will span the entire 2014 season. It is the longest non-gambling suspension in the history of Major League Baseball. Rodriguez has said he will appeal.

Peralta has accepted a 50 game suspension without pay. That will keep him out through September 25, which means he could be available to play in the final series of the regular series in Miami or in the postseason.

Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz has also been suspended for 50 games. He leads the team in home runs and runs batted in.

Also out for 50 games are Phillies pitcher Antonio Bastardo and Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera.

Peralta released a statement that said, in part, "In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. My greatest punishment is knowing that I have let so many good people down. I promise to do everything possible to try and earn back the respect that I have lost."

"Very mixed emotions, mixed feelings," said Tigers President and General Manager Dave Dombrowski. "I've had a chance to talk to Jhonny, his representatives, people in Major League Baseball probably starting about last week Tuesday. Really didn't get any full pulse of what was going to take place until the weekend. But I think here's somebody in Jhonny's case that has done a lot of good things for our organization. He's a really good person, has conducted himself well, been a key performer for our club, and yet he's done something that no one can condone ... He broke the rules. He has to pay a price for it. We support that totally."

Justin Verlander, in particular, said "Peralta is my brother", and he is going to support him moving forward.

Max Scherzer was not as behind Peralta. He said, "You know how I feel about cheaters, and as for Jhonny, I'm very disappointed. I'm certainly disappointed."

Meanwhile, Fox 2's Jason Carr got reaction from metro Detroiters.

"If it's illegal, then he shouldn't have done it. They must have known what they were doing. It does put a little bit of asterisk to it," said one man. "I'd rather have it totally clean because then you can compare stats with old stats."

"I feel he (Peralta) just got caught in a bad spot. He wanted to do good in the league, he just made the wrong choice. So hopefully he can come back from it. I don't think it killed his career all the way yet, so he's still got another chance," another man remarked.

"If I do drugs at work, are they going to give me 50 days off or are they going to fire me? They're going to fire me," a third man said.

"He's a really good player, so I'm sad that he's being suspended for that amount of time," a woman commented.

The Tigers are in Cleveland for a three game series. As of Monday afternoon, they held a three game lead over the Indians in the Central Division.

• Jennifer HammondJennifer HammondMore>>

UM's Devin Gardner befriends teen cancer patient

Saturday, July 12 2014 8:04 PM EDT2014-07-13 00:04:38 GMT
    When most people hear the name Devin Gardner, they think of him only as the quarterback at the University of Michigan. For the family of Josh Oleksiak of Chesterfield Township, Gardner means so much more.

Special Olympics: Athlete Nolan Theaker of Mich.

Friday, May 2 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-05-02 21:39:00 GMT
    The 2014 Special Olympics USA Games are coming to New Jersey in June. Nearly 3,500 athletes are expected to compete.One of those athletes is 16-year-old Nolan Theaker, who began competing when he was just 8 years old.

Downtown Youth Boxing gym inspires kids to dream big

Friday, February 7 2014 6:04 PM EST2014-02-07 23:04:11 GMT
    On the east side of Detroit stands a simple building with its mission printed clearly above the door: Train Hard. But when you walk inside the Downtown Youth Boxing gym you see big dreams taking shape.

Funeral for man who died after NYPD choke hold arrest

Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:46:09 GMT
    An overflow crowd packed a church on Wednesday night for the funeral of a man who died in police custody after an officer placed him in an apparent choke hold. Eric Garner's relatives stopped in front of his open casket, some weeping and wailing. A preacher opened the service at Brooklyn's Bethel Baptist Church with a mix of solemn prayer and an organ-backed gospel medley.

Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.

New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.