Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspension - New York News

Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspension

Posted: Updated:
Jhonny Peralta Jhonny Peralta
  • Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta accepts 50 game suspensionMore>>

  • Jhonny Peralta issues apology and statement of regret

    Jhonny Peralta issues apology and statement of regret

    Monday, August 5 2013 3:20 PM EDT2013-08-05 19:20:30 GMT
    Peralta: In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates...
    Peralta: In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. I apologize to everyone that I have hurt as a result of my mistake, including my teammates, the Tigers' organization, the great fans in Detroit, Major League Baseball, and my family.
  • Detroit Tigers offer statement regarding Jhonny Peralta

    Detroit Tigers offer statement regarding Jhonny Peralta

    Monday, August 5 2013 3:13 PM EDT2013-08-05 19:13:57 GMT
    "We recognize the suspension of Jhonny Peralta for violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as a measure taken in the best interest of the game."
    "We recognize the suspension of Jhonny Peralta for violating Major League Baseball's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program as a measure taken in the best interest of the game."
DETROIT (WJBK) -

More than a dozen Major League Baseball players have been suspended for doping, including the highest paid player in the game and Detroit Tigers shortstop Jhonny Peralta.

It was definitely a historic day as the suspensions were finally handed down in the BioGenesis investigation that found 13 players used performance enhancing drugs from the Miami clinic.

The biggest blow was delivered to Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who was hit with a 211 game suspension without pay that will span the entire 2014 season. It is the longest non-gambling suspension in the history of Major League Baseball. Rodriguez has said he will appeal.

Peralta has accepted a 50 game suspension without pay. That will keep him out through September 25, which means he could be available to play in the final series of the regular series in Miami or in the postseason.

Rangers outfielder Nelson Cruz has also been suspended for 50 games. He leads the team in home runs and runs batted in.

Also out for 50 games are Phillies pitcher Antonio Bastardo and Padres shortstop Everth Cabrera.

Peralta released a statement that said, in part, "In spring of 2012, I made a terrible mistake that I deeply regret. My greatest punishment is knowing that I have let so many good people down. I promise to do everything possible to try and earn back the respect that I have lost."

"Very mixed emotions, mixed feelings," said Tigers President and General Manager Dave Dombrowski. "I've had a chance to talk to Jhonny, his representatives, people in Major League Baseball probably starting about last week Tuesday. Really didn't get any full pulse of what was going to take place until the weekend. But I think here's somebody in Jhonny's case that has done a lot of good things for our organization. He's a really good person, has conducted himself well, been a key performer for our club, and yet he's done something that no one can condone ... He broke the rules. He has to pay a price for it. We support that totally."

Justin Verlander, in particular, said "Peralta is my brother", and he is going to support him moving forward.

Max Scherzer was not as behind Peralta. He said, "You know how I feel about cheaters, and as for Jhonny, I'm very disappointed. I'm certainly disappointed."

Meanwhile, Fox 2's Jason Carr got reaction from metro Detroiters.

"If it's illegal, then he shouldn't have done it. They must have known what they were doing. It does put a little bit of asterisk to it," said one man. "I'd rather have it totally clean because then you can compare stats with old stats."

"I feel he (Peralta) just got caught in a bad spot. He wanted to do good in the league, he just made the wrong choice. So hopefully he can come back from it. I don't think it killed his career all the way yet, so he's still got another chance," another man remarked.

"If I do drugs at work, are they going to give me 50 days off or are they going to fire me? They're going to fire me," a third man said.

"He's a really good player, so I'm sad that he's being suspended for that amount of time," a woman commented.

The Tigers are in Cleveland for a three game series. As of Monday afternoon, they held a three game lead over the Indians in the Central Division.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 8 mumps cases at NJ college

    8 mumps cases at NJ college

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:40 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:40:12 GMT
    Officials are investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at New Jersey's Stevens Institute of Technology.The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine.
    The New Jersey Department of Health is investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at Stevens Institute of Technology.  The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine. Symptoms include swollen salivary glands, fever, headache, tiredness and loss of appetite.



  • Cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls

    NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:32 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:32:20 GMT
    A New York City taxi driver has been arrested on charges he stole $28,000 in tolls by "piggybacking" on vehicles through E-Z Pass lanes while crossing the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.
    A New York City taxi driver has been arrested on charges he stole $28,000 in tolls by "piggybacking" on vehicles through E-Z Pass lanes while crossing the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.
  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-18 11:37:43 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices