Bus drivers' strike ends with 3-year agreement - New York News

Bus drivers' strike ends with 3-year agreement

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

A four-day bus strike affecting bus riders in the east valley has ended with a three-year agreement, according to union officials.

There's finally good news for the 57,000 bus riders who rely on bus service in several east valley cities.

The drivers authorized a strike on Thursday and since then, 40 routes were suspended.

All bus routes will resume Monday.

The union and First Transit, which operates buses for Valley Metro, negotiated through Saturday night and came up with a deal late Sunday afternoon.

"It's been a big inconvenience," said Michael Andrews.

For the past four days, thousands of Valley Metro riders were stranded with no way around town.

They were without about 40 bus routes, mainly in the east valley, while drivers went on strike.

"I don't like walking. I was very grateful for the buses when they had them," said Andrews.

But Sunday, some good news.

"I'm stoked. I don't gotta walk no more," said Andrews.

The union and First Transit, which operates buses for Valley Metro, came to a tentative new three-year deal.

The details of what's in that new deal are not being discussed until all the operators can review them, but the union and the bus company are confident this new deal will serve in everyone's best interest.

"I think the company compromised on something's and I think we compromised on some things and in the end, I think that it's an acceptable deal. Are we happy about everything? No,  obviously, but we're satisfied with the fact that we think our members are going to have the protections that we we're so passionate about getting," said Michael Cornelius, a ATU Local 1433 negotiator.

First Transit released this statement, in part:
"We are confident that this agreement serves the best interests of our Union employees, the riding public, Valley Metro, and First Transit. While we regret that a strike was not averted during the course of the negotiations, we appreciate that the ATU has shared our desire to resume transit service throughout the community as quickly as possible."

Related stories:

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man helping turtle is attacked by dog

    Man helping turtle is attacked by dog

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:11 AM EDT2014-07-22 13:11:44 GMT
    A Hamden man has been mauled by a dog while trying to help a turtle cross a local road.
    A Hamden man has been mauled by a dog while trying to help a turtle cross a local road.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:22 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:22:25 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices