Mets place Wright on DL, recall Baxter - New York News

Mets place Wright on DL, recall Baxter

Posted: Updated:
New York Mets New York Mets

IRA PODELL,AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Mets placed All-Star third baseman David Wright on the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, one day after he strained his right hamstring while legging out an infield hit.

Wright underwent an MRI on Saturday morning before the Mets hosted the Kansas City Royals hours later. Wright came up lame as he sprinted to first base in the 10th inning of Friday's 4-2 win by New York.

"There are certain guys you really almost can't afford to lose," Mets manager Terry Collins said Saturday. "He would fit that category for us.

"David Wright is a star and you're going to miss his presence in your lineup. Any team that loses their number one player, it's a huge hole to fill."

The Mets recalled outfielder Mike Baxter from Triple-A Las Vegas, and he arrived in New York on Saturday morning from Nashville, Tenn., where the minor league club is playing.

Wright had been feeling discomfort in the hamstring while the Mets took on the Marlins in Miami this week, but it was described as cramping, and he played through it.

Now he will be sidelined for at least 15 days, but no timetable has been announced yet by the Mets.

He offered little resistance when he was removed from the game after being attended to behind first base.

Justin Turner took Wright's place at third base on Saturday, and first baseman Josh Satin filled his No. 3 slot in the batting order.

Collins wouldn't commit to any plan beyond Saturday.

"We may have to make some lineup adjustments if it's going to be a long-term thing," he said. "If it's going to be two weeks, maybe we can just buy some time with some other guys."

One possibility Collins offered is moving Daniel Murphy from second base back to third, which might be his best position.

"Somebody has got to hit third on this team, too," Collins said. "That's another hole to fill. Somebody has got to do it. You can't sit there on a daily basis and say, 'Gee, David is not here.' We know he's not here.

"We're not asking anybody to try to be David. They've got to be themselves, but somebody has got to hit in those lineups. We just can't leave it blank."

Baxter was sent down to Las Vegas, along with first baseman Ike Davis on June 9 when Satin was called up. Davis has also since returned to the Mets.

Baxter batted .212 with no home runs and four RBIs in 85 at-bats over 41 games with the Mets earlier this season.

"Anytime you get sent down you're always hoping you get a chance to come back. You don't take that for granted," Baxter said. "I really wish it wasn't on these terms. Watching David getting hurt last night, nobody really wants to see that. He is the heart of this team.

"Somebody is going to have to step up and we're going to have to try to pick up the slack for him. It's a big hole to fill. I don't know if one guy can do it. It's probably going to have to come from a couple of us. Hopefully we do."

The Mets were already dealing with multiple injuries in the bullpen on Friday before Wright got hurt.

New York closer Bobby Parnell is unavailable until at least Sunday because of a stiff neck. Left-handed setup man Josh Edgin went on the disabled list on Friday, and is expected to be sidelined 4 to 6 weeks because of a stress fracture in a rib.

Veteran reliever Pedro Feliciano was brought up on Friday from Las Vegas and he made his first major league appearance since 2010.

Carlos Torres, who was scheduled to be Saturday's starter, was returned to the bullpen on Friday, and he earned the win with a two-inning effort. He will stay as a reliever for now as the Mets are abandoning their six-man rotation until Jonathan Niese returns soon from a shoulder injury.

Jeremy Hefner was moved up from his Sunday start to pitch in Torres' place against the Royals on Saturday. Zack Wheeler, used as a pinch-runner on Friday, will take the mound Sunday afternoon.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Sports NewsSports NewsMore>>

  • Lawsuit: ex-Buffalo Bills cheerleaders were exploited, groped

    Lawsuit: ex-Buffalo Bills cheerleaders were exploited, groped

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 8:08 PM EDT2014-04-23 00:08:06 GMT
    Buffalo Bills / NFLBuffalo Bills / NFL
    Five former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders on Tuesday sued the team over a pay system they say had them working hundreds of hours for free at games and at mandatory public appearances at which they were subjected to groping and sexual comments, and one said they had to take a jiggle test so their boss could see how firm their bodies were. The state Supreme Court lawsuit is the third filed this year against a National Football League team by cheerleader...
    Five former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders on Tuesday sued the team over a pay system they say had them working hundreds of hours for free at games and at mandatory public appearances at which they were subjected to groping and sexual comments, and one said they had to take a jiggle test so their boss could see how firm their bodies were. The state Supreme Court lawsuit is the third filed this year against a National Football League team by cheerleader...
  • USA's Keflezighi, Kenya's Jeptoo win Boston Marathon under tight security

    USA's Keflezighi, Kenya's Jeptoo win Boston Marathon under tight security

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-04-22 02:09:20 GMT
    AP photoAP photo

    "The Star-Spangled Banner" played over Boylston Street in honor of an American winner of the Boston Marathon. One year after a bombing there killed three people and left more than 260 injured, Meb Keflezighi added Boston to a resume that includes the New York City Marathon title in 2009 and a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics. Running just two weeks before his 39th birthday, he had the names of the 2013 bombing victims on his bib.

    "The Star-Spangled Banner" played over Boylston Street in honor of an American winner of the Boston Marathon. One year after a bombing there killed three people and left more than 260 injured, Meb Keflezighi added Boston to a resume that includes the New York City Marathon title in 2009 and a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics. Running just two weeks before his 39th birthday, he had the names of the 2013 bombing victims on his bib.


  • Team to play at Yankee Stadium

    Interview with New York City FC's Claudio Reyna

    Interview with New York City FC's Claudio Reyna

    Monday, April 21 2014 7:59 PM EDT2014-04-21 23:59:03 GMT
    New York City FC has hired one of America's most decorated soccer stars: Claudio Reyna, a former captain of the United States men's national soccer team, to be director of operations. It's the 20th franchise in Major League Soccer. It is the first in New York City and second in the metropolitan area after the Red Bulls, who play a few miles away in Harrison, N.J. NYCFC, which is co-owned by the New York Yankees, will start playing games in 2015 at Yankee Stadium.
    New York City FC has hired one of America's most decorated soccer stars: Claudio Reyna, a former captain of the United States men's national soccer team, to be director of operations. It's the 20th franchise in Major League Soccer. It is the first in New York City and second in the metropolitan area after the Red Bulls, who play a few miles away in Harrison, N.J. NYCFC, which is co-owned by the New York Yankees, will start playing games in 2015 at Yankee Stadium.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices