Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass - New York News

Star of David necklace stolen from Detroiter mowing his grass

Jeff Johnson Jeff Johnson
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson was mowing his lawn on Euclid in Detroit near Linwood and Dexter. He was wearing a Star of David necklace that was a gift from his wife.

"I got this for him for Hanukkah probably about seven years ago, and he's wore it ever since," Shoshanah Johnson said.

His wife paid $2,500 for the necklace.

"It's a very nice chain, an Italian chain, actually it came straight from Italy. I had it made for my husband. 18 karat gold," she said.

As Jeff was mowing at 4:30 p.m. on a Saturday, video shows two guys walking up. One of them stole his necklace.

"Two gentlemen ran by me and snatched my necklace off my neck while I'm pushing the mower," he said. "They were both wearing baseball caps, and I chased after them in the truck."

"Detroit Police responded about 25 minutes later."

Jeff said the guys split up and ran off in different directions. He lost them.

We first met the Johnson family a month ago. They were trying to find out who owned the vacant and crumbling house next door. Since our story aired, Jeff said he has been contacted by the city and he believes progress is in place to have the house demolished.

Jeff moved his family here from Miami seven months ago in large part to experience what he sees as a rebirth of Detroit.

"Hopefully that man knows what he did was wrong. I'm not trying to accept that, but I have to come up with something in my mind to where I just don't lose all hope, and it's not easy. I've never been robbed in my front yard," he said.

"We're here to stay. Detroit is going to come back. We're going to build up, and we're going to do good," Shoshanah said. "Just like the new police commissioner says, those little punks that do these crimes, they're getting out of here. They're going to be gone. I believe that."

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT
    It was a somber evening Sunday in Hamburg in Livingston County. A large crowd turned out to see the Vietnam traveling memorial wall.

Man claims he was beaten by discount store clerk

Sunday, August 31 2014 11:56 PM EDT2014-09-01 03:56:19 GMT
    "He put his hand on me and slammed me into the racks, put me in a (mixed martial arts) arm bar, then put me in a choke hold," Lacey Wheeler said.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.
  • Ron SavageRon SavageMore>>

Traveling Vietnam memorial wall stops in Hamburg

Monday, September 1 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:07:54 GMT

Three sisters mourn murdered father as police search for killer

Saturday, August 30 2014 12:15 AM EDT2014-08-30 04:15:35 GMT
    Starting a new school year is stressful enough, but now Keanya Farrell, 9, her 10-year-old sister Khloee and 18-year-old sister Lexus are all faced with life without their father."I'm heartbroken," Keanya said. "It's like my heart is in a billion pieces."

Two children injured in fall from Ferris wheel at fair

Friday, August 22 2014 11:47 PM EDT2014-08-23 03:47:08 GMT
    Two children were injured when they fell from a ferris wheel at the Chelsea Community Fair.