Ontario Kidnap Victim Details Harrowing Ordeal - New York News

Ontario Kidnap Victim Details Harrowing Ordeal

An Ontario man who was kidnapped late Saturday night and taken into Mexico detailed, on Thursday, his terrifying 48 hours of captivity.

Chepe Arevalo wasn't injured but battered psychologically as his kidnappers poured oil on him and threatened to burn him alive.

"I find that when I'm by myself, I get scared, I start crying," Arevalo said.

Arevalo, who is a member of the band Los Nuevos Elegantes, said he arrived home after a show on Saturday when he was approached by two men with guns.  He was taken and thrown into the back seat.

"The whole car ride my face was covered in a nylon-type of book back," Arevelo said.  "The only time I knew where I was at was when you pass the border and there are these bumps and I felt those bumps and I knew I was in Mexico."

After Arevelo and his captors crossed the border, he said they drove for about another hour, saying it was away from urban areas because when he finally arrived at his destination there were almost no sounds around him.

It was then they tied him up and locked him in a room.

"They did do some things that were kind of scary where times I thought I was dead," Arevalo said.  "For an example, they threw some kind of oil, they said it was gasoline and they said they wanted to light me on fire."

As for a possible reason as for why he was kidnapped, Arevelo said he has no clue.  His band does play songs that occasionally feature lyrics about drug lords but he said he has never run afoul of the law or been involved with drugs in any fashion.

And just as inexplicably his kidnappers decided after about 24 hours to simply set Arevalo free.  He said his captors argued about something and then he was blindfolded, thrown back into the car and then dumped into an alley in Tijuana.

"Maybe the person who was looking for me didn't pay whatever he was supposed to pay to finish the job which was to kill me," Arevalo said.  "Or maybe they just made a mistake in taking me and I was the wrong guy."

Arevalo said he went to the border where agents eventually confirmed his identity via the missing person's report filed by his family.  He was reunited with them shortly afterwards on Monday, capping off a tumultuous 48-hour period.

"God gave me another chance," Arevelo said.  "And I'm not going to be sitting down wasting another day."

Record stores survive and thrive in Brooklyn

Friday, April 18 2014 10:59 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:59:51 GMT
    When you hear about a place that still sells records, located in a hip neighborhood in the borough of Brooklyn, you enter that store with certain expectations. One of them being: you hope the guy behind the counter talks about music the way Cory Fierman does."I think it's just like the most important thing to you," he says. "I don't know how to describe it. It's the most important thing to me. It's like another language."Cory manages Greenpoint's Academy Records Annex, where they want you ...

Queens Beer Week kicks off

Friday, April 18 2014 10:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:19:20 GMT
    Queens wants to be known as New York City's beer capital. Queens Beer Week kicked off on Friday to celebrate the borough's crafty breweries and the more than 60 venues that serve their beer. Dan Bronson of Crescent and Vine in Astoria is the bearded brains behind the inaugural Queens Beer Week. He organized it all. The nine-day celebration of beers brewed in Queens.

Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.

Kidnapping "Prank" Goes Bad, Parents Not Amused

Friday, April 18 2014 1:58 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:58:38 GMT
    Twins brothers with a YouTube channel filled with their pranks say they weren't trying to make a joke. Serious intentions or not, a park full of parents were not amused by their latest stunt. This video is a must-see!

Griffith Park Mountain Lion Found Sick, Possibly Poisoned

Thursday, April 17 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-04-17 19:26:14 GMT
    Rat poison may be responsible for the sorry condition of a wild mountain lion in LA's Griffith Park. The mountain lion is known to the National Park Service as ‘P-22'.
  • myFOX Tech

Tired, Sore Eyes? Enter: Gunnar Optiks Intercept

Tired, Sore Eyes? Enter: Gunnar Optiks Intercept

Thursday, April 17 2014 1:39 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:39:18 GMT
    I met the folks from Gunnar Optiks at CES this year and they had something new to show me. The Intercepts. I have a big head, these are big frames, it was kismet but do they work as good as they look? We'll see.
    I met the folks from Gunnar Optiks at CES this year and they had something new to show me. The Intercepts. I have a big head, these are big frames, it was kismet but would my eyes revel in this serendipitous confluence of events? We'll see.