Free Press photographer videotaping arrest taken into custody - New York News

Detroit Free Press photographer shooting video of arrest taken into custody by DPD

Posted: Updated:
Mandi Wright Mandi Wright
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Detroit Police made an arrest Thursday afternoon. Detroit Free Press photographer Mandi Wright saw the action and started shooting it with her iPhone when suddenly a man was in her face.

The stranger did not identify himself as an officer, but snatched her phone. Wright, a veteran photojournalist, struggled briefly to get it back.

"She still at that point doesn't even know that this is a police officer. She found out a few seconds later and apologized," said Free Press attorney Herschel Fink.

He took her camera and took her into custody, but her attorney said she did nothing wrong, and it was a clear violation of her civil rights both as a journalist and as a citizen.

"Any citizen has a right to photograph police conducting activities in public," Fink said. "This thing just spiraled out of control."

Wright was left with the man police arrested, a guy they cuffed for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

"She was placed in a room with him, and if you thought it couldn't get any worse, the officers left the room and left her alone with this individual," Fink said. "That had to violate every rule in the book."

When Wright finally got her phone back late Thursday night, the SIM card had been removed. Fortunately, the video she had been shooting was saved on the internal memory.

"Someone in the department had attempted to destroy some evidence that might and I think have turned out to be embarrassing to the department," Fink said.

Internal Affairs is investigating. Detroit Police are only saying it is an ongoing investigation. Fink told us Wright did nothing wrong, and the only wrongdoing was on the part of DPD.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:34:04 GMT
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
  • NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 01:30:41 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices