Detroiters in LaSalle Gardens want eyesore home torn down - New York News

Detroiters in LaSalle Gardens want eyesore home torn down

Posted: Updated:
Abandoned home in Detroit's LaSalle Gardens Abandoned home in Detroit's LaSalle Gardens
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Jeff Johnson loves the home that he bought in Detroit's historic LaSalle Gardens on West Euclid near the Davison and Linwood. He and his family moved from Miami, Florida and have lived there since January.

His problem is the vacant house next door. Johnson has no idea who owns the eyesore. Neighbors say no one has lived there for three years.

"What worries me is the children. You see all the kids playing here, and we have a basketball court out back, and I just don't want any of the kids to get hurt," he said.

Other neighbors in LaSalle Gardens agree with Johnson and his family. They want the haunted house gone.

"It's a problem and it's an eyesore for the neighborhood, and a lot of these people over here are using these abandoned houses for different things," said Reno Robinson. "It's time to clear it up and get it out of here."

In fact, Johnson said he is willing to buy the house next door just to get rid of it.

"I'll buy any lot they want to sell me, and I'll improve it. I want to make that a park," he said.

However, when he inquired with the city about who owns the house, he got nowhere.

"It comes under an LLC, which is some sort of corporation in the State of Michigan, and no one can track them down," Johnson said.

Previously, his wife, Shoshanah, worked as a special assistant to the mayor of Baltimore. They believe they know how city hall works, so the couple wrote a letter to Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr to advise Orr of the scary building next door.

Orr's office told Fox 2 they will find out who owns the property.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices