In family poll, Mitt Romney voted against 2012 presidential bid - New York News

In family poll, Mitt Romney voted against 2012 presidential bid

Updated:

By: Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News

Over Christmas break 2010, the Romney family convened in Hawaii and voted about whether Mitt Romney should run for president again like he had in 2008. Of the 12 ballots cast that day, 10 votes were against Romney running for president - including the vote of the presumptive candidate himself.

The anecdote comes from the forthcoming book “Collision 2012” by Dan Balz of The Washington Post. The book won't be released until Aug. 6, but The Huffington Post obtained an advance copy of “Collision 2012” Monday.

“Romney suffered far more from political cold feet than was previously known,” Sam Stein of The Huffington Post reported Tuesday. “When his family gathers in Hawaii on that Christmas break, he's worried about the personal toll another campaign would take and whether Republican politics had become completely unsympathetic to a candidate with his background. …

“In an interview with Balz that's placed at the very end of ‘Collision 2012,' Romney explained that he ultimately decided to run when he saw the other (leaving-something-to-be-desired) candidates in the GOP field.”

Stein's Huffington Post piece initially generated a lot of online buzz Tuesday - until Slate's David Weigel reminded everyone The New York Times had already reported that same exact story in August 2012.

"Attention-grabbing, but not new," Weigel wrote. "During the campaign, Romney's oldest son, Tagg, cited this story as proof that his father, far from the kind of guy who'd write off 47 percent of voters, was humble and not calculating. Michael Barbaro, one of the Romney beat reporters at The New York Times, reported the ‘family vote’ story in August 2012."


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:40 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:40:32 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
  • 3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    3 NJ mayors to announce anti-crime plan

    Monday, July 28 2014 9:03 AM EDT2014-07-28 13:03:29 GMT
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
    The mayors of three of New Jersey's largest cities are announcing a joint initiative to combat violent crime. Newark Mayor Ras Baraka, Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop and Paterson Mayor Jose Torres have scheduled a news conference in Jersey City for Monday afternoon to announce the plan. The news conference is being held in one of Jersey City's most crime-plagued neighborhoods.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices