Contractor says Flat Rock councilman punched him in the face - New York News

Contractor says Flat Rock Councilman Gary Borden punched him in the face

Flat Rock Councilman Gary Borden Flat Rock Councilman Gary Borden
FLAT ROCK, Mich. (WJBK) -

A contractor is accusing a Flat Rock City Council member of assault, saying he was just trying to collect the money his company was owed.

A picture shows Tom Krechnyak's face with bloody bruises he claimed he got from Flat Rock Councilman Gary Borden.

Krechnyak, who works for Tittle Brothers Construction, said he went to collect $2,200, the remainder of what the company was owed for repairing Borden's roof. He knocked on the councilman's door, but there was no answer. As he was leaving, he saw Borden drive past in a golf cart, so Krechnyak decided to turn around and ask for the money.

"Gary gets in my face and says, 'Don't come to my house.' So, next thing you know, he's punching me," Krechnyak explained. "He punched me (on the left side of my face), and he also punched me ... in the jaw (on the right side), which knocked my back tooth, pretty much half of it gone. At that point, all I could do was try to protect myself. I kicked him."

Krechnyak said he couldn't believe it. He never thought collecting on the insurance job would come down to this, a councilman refusing to pay what he owed and then physically assaulting him. He called the Flat Rock Police Department and so did Borden.

We caught up with Borden at Flat Rock City Hall and showed him Krechnyak's picture. Borden, a former boxer, admitted he punched him, but said he didn't start it.

"I said, 'Why did you go outside my garage beating on there, harassing my kids and stuff like that," Borden told us. "And he got all in my face, talking he going to kick my old [expletive] and ... so forth, and he just swung at me. Then I protected myself."

Flat Rock police handed the assault case over to Michigan State Police, who are now investigating. However, it doesn't change the fact that Borden still owes Tittle Brothers Construction $2,200.

"I don't have no problem paying the money. I never did. It was just I wanted them to finished what they was doing," Borden said.

Records show that Tittle Brothers Construction finished the roofing project on May 16, but Borden claimed he didn't make the final payment because there were still things left to be done. So we have to wonder, why did he sign the letter of completion?

"I called the insurance company, and the insurance company told me if I wasn't satisfied with the work ... if they wasn't complete with the job, for me to hold onto it," Borden said.

"We're all shocked. We put a new roof on his home. We thought we did him a service," Krechnyak said.

• Superstorm Sandy

Grimm criticizes storm recovery program

Grimm criticizes storm recovery program

Wednesday, August 27 2014 9:06 PM EDT2014-08-28 01:06:30 GMT
    When Superstorm Sandy destroyed Maureen Childs' Staten Island home, she turned to New York City's Build it Back program for help. She says what she got back was heartache. At a news conference Wednesday, Rep. Michael Grimm, who represents Staten Island and part of Brooklyn, highlighted what he called failures in a program designed to help victims of Sandy get back on their feet.
  • GIRLTALK #takeover

Angela Simmons reaches out

Angela Simmons reaches out

Wednesday, August 27 2014 7:09 PM EDT2014-08-27 23:09:20 GMT
    The Boys and Girls Club of Newark seems like the last place you'd expect to find the daughter of hip hop royalty. But when it comes to inspiring young girls, Angela Simmons, daughter of Rev. Run of Run DMC, believes in the old adage "each one, teach one." While it may seem like she had a silver spoon in her mouth, she knows the importance of giving back.

NYSE rings bell for pediatric cancer awareness

Wednesday, August 27 2014 7:00 PM EDT2014-08-27 23:00:54 GMT
    On Wednesday, the world famous New York Stock Exchange closing bell rang in honor of pediatric cancer awareness. The Loccisano family says their beloved Frankie heard the bell all the way up in heaven. Frankie's grandmother says she is convinced of it. Camille Loccisano, Frankie's mother, is the executive director of Frankie's Mission, a nonprofit pediatric cancer foundation named in her son's honor.

Family's home hit hard by storms for second time

Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:51 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:51:07 GMT
    For Ericka Page, first came the flood, then the gas line break and Tuesday, the massive tree limb that broke off with part of it landing on her house.

Ronald Ilitch arrested with drugs, prostitute

Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:24 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:24:27 GMT
    Ronald Ilitch was arrested for possession of drugs after being found with a prostitute Wednesday afternoon, according to Detroit Police Department sources.

Student sues Monroe schools for sexual harassment, bullying by teacher

Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:06 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:06:20 GMT
    A lawsuit from a Monroe honor student alleges sexual harassment, retaliation and bullying from a teacher and says the school district did nothing about it.