Disgraced FBI agent gives emotional apology to victim's family - New York News

Disgraced FBI agent gives emotional apology to victim's family at Bulger trial

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) — A former FBI agent who admitted taking payoffs from James "Whitey" Bulger appeared to choke back tears as he offered a dramatic apology to the family of one of the reputed gangster's alleged murder victims.

"Not a day in my life has gone by that I haven't thought about this. Not a day in my life has gone by that I haven't prayed that God gives you blessing and comfort for the pain that you suffered," Jim Morris, his voice cracking, told a widow and her three sons Monday during cross-examination by a defense lawyer at Bulger's racketeering trial.

The 83-year-old Bulger is charged with participating in 19 murders in the 1970s and '80s while he allegedly led the notorious Winter Hill Gang.

Morris testified that he told fellow FBI agent John Connolly that Edward "Brian" Halloran had given authorities information about a murder Bulger's gang was suspected of committing. At the time, both Morris and Connolly — his subordinate — had corrupt relationships with Bulger, who he said was a longtime FBI informant at the same time he was committing a litany of crimes.

Prosecutors say Halloran and Michael Donahue — an innocent bystander who had offered Halloran a ride home — were killed in 1982 after Connolly leaked the information to Bulger. Bulger is accused of opening fire on the car as the two men left a Boston restaurant.

Morris' voice cracked as he looked at Donahue's widow, Patricia, and his three grown sons seated in the courtroom. Morris apologized for "things that I may have done and things that I didn't do."

Patricia Donahue said she believes Morris was sincere, but said his apology came "way, way too late."

"Those words didn't mean anything to me," she said. "While he's getting his (FBI) promotions, I'm mourning my husband."

Morris testified earlier that he played "no direct role" in the two killings. He said he believed Halloran was in protective custody and was about to enter the federal witness protection program when he talked to Connolly about him.

"It was spontaneous," he said. "I didn't plan it. It just happened. I wish it hadn't."

Bulger attorney Hank Brennan asked Morris if he knew he was "signing Mr. Halloran's death warrant" by telling Connolly he was cooperating against Bulger.

"I thought he was safe," Morris said.

Morris admitted taking $7,000 in payoffs, two cases of wine and other gifts from Bulger and his gang. He was given immunity from prosecution for his testimony during hearings in the 1990s and later for his testimony against Connolly in two separate trials in Massachusetts and Florida.

Connolly was convicted of racketeering and second-degree murder for leaking information to Bulger and his gang. It was a tip from Connolly that prompted Bulger to flee Boston in 1994. He was one of the nation's most wanted fugitives until he was finally captured in Santa Monica, Calif., in 2011.

Bulger has pleaded not guilty and denies being an informant for the FBI.

In other testimony Monday, prosecutors called a former drug dealer who said he went into business with Bulger in 1980.

Joseph Tower, who received immunity from prosecution, said he was a musician and a cocaine and marijuana dealer when he first met Bulger. He said he was approached by a Bulger associate who offered to protect him and his customers from harassment by others trying to cut into his business.

Tower, who said the business was selling about a kilo of cocaine every week, called Bulger the "protection" in the organization and said Bulger regularly collected his share of the profits.

Bulger laughed audibly several times as Tower testified energetically about how Bulger's name instilled fear in people.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • Staten Island rally and march preparations

    Staten Island rally and march preparations

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:33:49 GMT
    All was calm and quiet Friday evening in Staten Island but Saturday thousands are expected to descend on Tompkinsville for a march that organizers are promising will be peaceful. The march will culminate in a rally right outside the 120th Precinct. Representatives from the national action network were in Staten Island Friday making preparations for Saturday's demonstration, which is estimated to draw at least 5,000 people from all over the country.
    All was calm and quiet Friday evening in Staten Island but Saturday thousands are expected to descend on Tompkinsville for a march that organizers are promising will be peaceful. The march will culminate in a rally right outside the 120th Precinct. Representatives from the national action network were in Staten Island Friday making preparations for Saturday's demonstration, which is estimated to draw at least 5,000 people from all over the country.
  • August 23, 2014

    Staten Island march traffic and transit advisory

    Staten Island march traffic and transit advisory

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-08-22 22:33:23 GMT
    The NYPD and the MTA have announced road and transit changes for Staten Island that will be in effect on Saturday, August 23, 2014, due to the scheduled rally in honor of Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died during an arrest.
    The NYPD and the MTA have announced road and transit changes for Staten Island that will be in effect on Saturday, August 23, 2014, due to the scheduled rally in honor of Eric Garner, the Staten Island man who died during an arrest.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices