'Model student' accidentally shot dead in South Shore home - New York News

'Model student' accidentally shot dead in South Shore home

Posted: Updated:

Home video shows 16-year-old Malcolm Whitney at the free throw line - he's number 12 and by all accounts the basketball standout had everything headed in the right direction until a tragic accident changed everything.

"Malcolm's father called me at noon today and explained to me that a situation had happened with Malcolm, didn't give me a whole lot of detail but that he had passed away," said Sean Connor, Malcolm's AAU basketball coach.

A gun apparently accidentally discharged Friday morning inside the Whitney family's South Shore home near 75th Street and Kingston Avenue. Whitney was apparently shot at least once.

The teen was a Hyde Park High School basketball player  who was invited to attend camp at the University of Southern California - he had high grades and his ambitions were even higher.

"He had already opened doors for himself and it was just about how bad he wanted it and Malcolm was a kid who just left it all on the floor.  You know, you talk about a model citizen, on the basketball court, Malcolm was a model player," said Connor.

Chicago police tell Fox 32 News the case is being called a death investigation and has not yet been ruled a homicide but there is a person of interest being questioned.

On Facebook and Twitter, Whitney's friends and teammates posted RIP messages for the young life loss far too soon.

Area South detectives are conducting an on-going death investigation and are questioning a "person of interest." An autopsy is scheduled for Saturday.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices