Two hurt when oxygen tank explodes in garbage truck - New York News

Two hurt when oxygen tank explodes in garbage truck

Posted: Updated:
FOX 5's Marc Teichner holds the tank that exploded after it was crushed by the truck's compactor. FOX 5's Marc Teichner holds the tank that exploded after it was crushed by the truck's compactor.
MARIETTA, Ga. -

FOX 5 has confirmed that two sanitation workers were hurt Friday morning when an oxygen tank exploded inside a garbage truck.  It happened on Brentwood Drive in Marietta after the truck apparently crushed several oxygen tanks that had been thrown away at a home.

A Marietta Police Department spokesperson tells FOX 5 the explosion occurred around 8 a.m., and that someone threw away oxygen tanks when they were cleaning out a home that belonged to a deceased relative. 

Police say when the garbage truck crushed the oxygen tanks, one of them exploded.  FOX 5's Marc Teichner was at the scene, where he got a look at the actual tank that exploded.  Authorities told him shrapnel from the tank was scattered down the street.

Both of the men who were hurt are Marietta sanitation workers.  One of them suffered cuts on his face.  The other man has serious injuries to his eyes, and he was rushed to Kennestone Hospital for treatment.  Their names have not been released.

Stay with FOX 5 Atlanta and myfoxatlanta.com for updates.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Sunday, September 14 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:42:47 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
  • Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
  • Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices