Orr removes Charles Pugh's authority and pay - New York News

Orr removes Charles Pugh's authority and pay

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Phillip Pugh said his nephew was supposed to visit last Tuesday, but after allegations of an inappropriate relationship with an 18-year-old student surfaced, he has not heard from Charles Pugh.

"Wherever he's at, bring your [expletive] back here and face the music because that's the character, that's the foundation of his last name," Phillip Pugh said.

Pugh's unexplained absences during a tumultuous time for the city have cost him his power and pay. The emergency manager signed an order Thursday afternoon officially stripping it away.

We have learned Pugh will keep his medical benefits just in case he is coping with a health issue. He attempted to take a medical leave earlier this week, but was denied.

"This is a power that's granted to the emergency manager to delegate. He delegated that to council, but he has the authority to take it back. So in this instance, he believes he has to take it back. The emergency manager believes that if you're collecting a paycheck from the city, you need to show up for work," said Bill Nowling, spokesperson for Kevyn Orr.

Pugh may have lost his power, but he still holds his elected position until he officially resigns. Council members met without him on Thursday. They have not yet called for him to step down.

The mother of a student, who was part of Pugh's mentoring program run out of Detroit's Frederick Douglass Academy, is filing a lawsuit, which claims Pugh bought her son gifts, gave him money and even took him out of school, giving him attention of which she did not approve.

In a press conference, her lawyers claimed that Pugh sexually harassed the teen with inappropriate text messages, but they still have not provided the proof.

Phillip Pugh defended his nephew. He feels all of this is just a politically motivated attack.

"I don't know about sexual harassment, and I don't know about any of that other, but I do know that what he did, as far as I'm concerned, offering financial support to that young man, that's just all part of our makeup as a family," he said.

It is not clear if Pugh plans to step down.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices