Dzhokhar Tsarnaev indicted for Boston Marathon bombing - New York News

Boston Marathon terror attack

Suspect in Boston Marathon bombing indicted

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) -- A federal grand jury on Thursday returned a 30-count indictment against the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, and many of the charges carry the possibility of life in prison or the death penalty.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was indicted on charges including using a weapon of mass destruction and bombing a place of public use, resulting in death.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured in twin explosions near the finish line of the marathon on April 15. The charges also cover the death of MIT police officer Sean Collier, who authorities say was shot to death in his cruiser by the Tsarnaevs a few days after the bombing.

Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed following a shootout with police on April 19.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was captured later that day hiding in a boat in a backyard in Watertown, Mass. According to the indictment, he wrote a message on the inside of the boat that said, among other things, "The U.S. Government is killing our innocent civilians," ''I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished," and "We Muslims are one body you hurt one you hurt us all."

The Tsarnaev brothers had roots in the turbulent Russian regions of Dagestan and Chechnya, which have become recruiting grounds for Islamic extremists. They had been living in the United States for about a decade.

Authorities said each of the brothers placed a knapsack containing a shrapnel-packed pressure cooker bomb near the finish line of the 26.2-mile race. The bombs went off within seconds of one another.

The U.S. attorney's office says 17 of the charges against Tsarnaev could bring life in prison or the death penalty.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ requires students to get CPR lessons

    NJ requires students to get CPR lessons

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:52:46 GMT
    New Jersey high school students will be required to have CPR training starting this year. Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno signed a law Wednesday requiring the lesson for all public and charter school students in ninth through 12th grades. Guadagno is serving as acting governor with Gov. Chris Christie out of the state. It takes effect in the coming school year.
    New Jersey high school students will be required to have CPR training starting this year. Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno signed a law Wednesday requiring the lesson for all public and charter school students in ninth through 12th grades. Guadagno is serving as acting governor with Gov. Chris Christie out of the state. It takes effect in the coming school year.

  • NYC board: clerk traded information for crack

    NYC board: clerk traded information for crack

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:31:59 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A former clerk in the Staten Island District Attorney's office was fined $10,000 for offering confidential investigative information for crack. The city's Conflict of Interest Board said Rene Collins exchanged text messages with drug dealer Davon Bishop, offering to tip him off about investigations and upcoming arrests in exchange for two units of crack for her husband.
    A former clerk in the Staten Island District Attorney's office was fined $10,000 for offering confidential investigative information for crack. The city's Conflict of Interest Board said Rene Collins exchanged text messages with drug dealer Davon Bishop, offering to tip him off about investigations and upcoming arrests in exchange for two units of crack for her husband.
  • Prayer service for Atlantic City casinos

    Prayer service for Atlantic City casinos

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 12:28 PM EDT2014-08-20 16:28:08 GMT
    Hundreds of workers who will lose their jobs at three Atlantic City casinos scheduled to close in the next few weeks are looking for some divine intervention. Employees of Revel, the Showboat and Trump Plaza will hold a rally Wednesday night followed by a prayer service at a nearby church.
    Hundreds of workers who will lose their jobs at three Atlantic City casinos scheduled to close in the next few weeks are looking for some divine intervention. Employees of Revel, the Showboat and Trump Plaza will hold a rally Wednesday night followed by a prayer service at a nearby church.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices