Paula Deen dropped as Smithfield spokeswoman - New York News

Paula Deen dropped as Smithfield spokeswoman

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) -

Paula Deen lost another part of her empire on Monday: Smithfield Foods said it is dropping her as a spokeswoman.

The announcement came days after the Food Network said it would not renew the celebrity cook's contract in the wake of revelations that she used racial slurs in the past.

Smithfield sold Paula Deen-branded hams in addition to using her as a spokeswoman. In a statement, the company said it "condemns the use of offensive and discriminatory language and behavior of any kind. Therefore, we are terminating our partnership with Paula Deen."

QVC also said it was reviewing its deal with Paula Deen Enterprises to sell the star's cookbooks and cookware.

"QVC shares the concerns being raised around the unfortunate Paula Deen situation," QVC said in a statement. "We are closely monitoring these events and the ongoing litigation. We are reviewing our business relationship with Ms. Deen, and in the meantime, we have no immediate plans to have her appear on QVC."

Several retailers, which sell Paula Deen cookware, were taking a wait-and-see approach.

Sears Holdings Corp. said it "is currently exploring next steps as they pertain to Ms. Deen's products." Target Corp. said it is "evaluating the situation." Meyer Corp., which produces the cookware under the Paula Deen brand, declined to comment.

Marty Brochstein, senior vice president of The Licensing Industry Merchandisers' Association, a trade group, said stores may have a tougher time determining whether to cut ties with Deen than Smithfield and the Food Network, where she has a public role.

"Once you take the wrapper off, her name isn't necessarily on every piece of merchandise," Brochstein said. "As a retailer or as a licensee, you have to evaluate. But you're probably not going to gain anything by overreacting."

Brochstein said that stores are likely closely watching sales of the merchandise and monitoring social media as they gauge how consumers are responding.

"We're in the midst of this. It hasn't played out," he added.

Deen's rapid fall from favor came after the 66-year-old Food Network star admitted in a deposition in a discrimination lawsuit that she used racial slurs in the past. Deen was asked under oath if she had ever used the N-word. "Yes, of course," Deen said, though she added, "It's been a very long time."

Deen insisted she and her family do not tolerate prejudice, and in a videotaped apology, she asked fans and critics for forgiveness. It had been posted online for about an hour when the Food Network released a terse statement that it "will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month." The network declined to comment further.

Las Vegas-based Caesars Entertainment Corp., which has Deen's restaurants in some of its casinos, said Friday that it "will continue to monitor the situation." Publisher Ballantine, which has a new Deen book scheduled to roll out this fall, used similar words.

Earlier Monday, NBC's Matt Lauer said Deen would appear Wednesday on "Today." Last week she abruptly canceled on the morning show before posting her videotaped apologies.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • EntertainmentMore>>

  • Piper Perabo marries Covert EP Stephen Kay

    Piper Perabo marries Covert EP Stephen Kay

    Piper Perabo married her longtime boyfriend Stephen Kay over the weekend, Us Weekly reports.
    Piper Perabo married her longtime boyfriend Stephen Kay over the weekend, Us Weekly reports.
  • Jennette McCurdy: I am not a role model

    Jennette McCurdy: I am not a role model

    Nickelodeon darling Jennette McCurdy wants everyone to know she is not a role a model nor does she want to be.
    Nickelodeon darling Jennette McCurdy wants everyone to know she is not a role a model nor does she want to be.
  • Freddie Prinze Jr. on working with Kiefer Sutherland: "I hated every moment of it"

    Freddie Prinze Jr. on working with Kiefer Sutherland: "I hated every moment of it"

    Freddie Prinze Jr. says he almost quit acting, thanks in part to Kiefer Sutherland.
    Freddie Prinze Jr. says he almost quit acting, thanks in part to Kiefer Sutherland.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-07-29 18:54:40 GMT
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
  • Scenes for "Girls" to be shot at SUNY New Paltz

    Scenes for "Girls" to be shot at SUNY New Paltz

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 2:51 PM EDT2014-07-29 18:51:27 GMT
    Some scenes for the HBO series "Girls" will be shot at the State University of New York at New Paltz.  The series star and creator Lena Dunham will reportedly be directing scenes Tuesday afternoon on the campus 75 miles north of New York City.
    Some scenes for the HBO series "Girls" will be shot at the State University of New York at New Paltz.  The series star and creator Lena Dunham will reportedly be directing scenes Tuesday afternoon on the campus 75 miles north of New York City.
  • Pregnant woman says officer put her in choke hold

    Pregnant woman says officer put her in choke hold

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-07-29 17:52:29 GMT
    A Brooklyn woman who is seven months pregnant released photos that she said show an NYPD officer putting her in a choke hold as she was being arrested for grilling on the sidewalk outside her home.  It's the latest in a string of reported choke holds by police officers. The move is not allowed under NYPD policy.  Miller was expected to meet with Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson on Tuesday to seek charges against police.
    A Brooklyn woman who is seven months pregnant released photos that she said show an NYPD officer putting her in a choke hold as she was being arrested for grilling on the sidewalk outside her home.  It's the latest in a string of reported choke holds by police officers. The move is not allowed under NYPD policy.  Miller was expected to meet with Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson on Tuesday to seek charges against police.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices