Doce Fire fight bill so far nearly $3.4 million - New York News

Doce Fire fight bill so far nearly $3.4 million

Posted: Updated:
PRESCOTT, Ariz. -

A nearly 11-square-mile wildfire west of Prescott has cost almost $3.4 million to fight so far, and 6,732 acres have been scorched. That's about 400 acres more than Thursday.

Officials said Friday the price tag to battle the Doce Fire in the Prescott National Forest comes largely from air support used to help tame the blaze.

The fire, which is now 15% contained, forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes, and officials say it may be days until residents will be allowed to return. Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher is reminding residents he empathizes with their desires to be back home, but that evacuations are necessary for safety, and determined by scientific fire behavior models.

No structures have been damaged. Iron Springs Road is now open to all traffic.

Fire officials are urging residents to consider buying flood insurance. The lack of vegetation creates a major risk of flooding. Officials have said that many insurance policies take effect 30 days after they're purchased and want residents to think ahead.

Investigators says the Doce Fire was human caused but haven't determined the exact source.

The fast-moving nature of the fire prompted Gov. Jan Brewer to issue an emergency declaration.

Fire managers will closely monitor weather conditions over the next several days as projected forecasts are expected to continue to be hot, dry, and windy. Incident commander Tony Sciacca says wind gusts of up to 30 mph will continue to challenge firefighters throughout the weekend.

Beginning Saturday at noon, the American Red Cross will transition its overnight shelter at Yavapai College to a daytime evacuation center. It will be run 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until it's no longer needed.

Video: FOX 10's Steve Krafft reports from Prescott. He spoke with some DPS helicopter paramedics.

For full coverage on Arizona wildfires, go to myfoxphoenix.com/wildfires

Doce fire updates: www.regionalinfo-alert.org

Check status of loved ones: www.redcross.org/safeandwell

Doce fire information number: 928-777-7552

Fire closure area: www.fs.usda.gov/prescott

Current mandatory evacuation areas: Granite Basin; Alto Recreation Area; Black Jack; Camp Anytown; American Ranch; Sundown Acres; Cielo Grande; Stazinski Road; Mint Creek Wash north to Dome Road

*Individuals who may have seen suspicious activity related to the Doce Fire are asked to contact Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations at 928-527-3508*

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press modified.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:23:11 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices