Doce Fire fight bill so far nearly $3.4 million - New York News

Doce Fire fight bill so far nearly $3.4 million

Posted: Updated:
PRESCOTT, Ariz. -

A nearly 11-square-mile wildfire west of Prescott has cost almost $3.4 million to fight so far, and 6,732 acres have been scorched. That's about 400 acres more than Thursday.

Officials said Friday the price tag to battle the Doce Fire in the Prescott National Forest comes largely from air support used to help tame the blaze.

The fire, which is now 15% contained, forced the evacuation of hundreds of homes, and officials say it may be days until residents will be allowed to return. Yavapai County Sheriff Scott Mascher is reminding residents he empathizes with their desires to be back home, but that evacuations are necessary for safety, and determined by scientific fire behavior models.

No structures have been damaged. Iron Springs Road is now open to all traffic.

Fire officials are urging residents to consider buying flood insurance. The lack of vegetation creates a major risk of flooding. Officials have said that many insurance policies take effect 30 days after they're purchased and want residents to think ahead.

Investigators says the Doce Fire was human caused but haven't determined the exact source.

The fast-moving nature of the fire prompted Gov. Jan Brewer to issue an emergency declaration.

Fire managers will closely monitor weather conditions over the next several days as projected forecasts are expected to continue to be hot, dry, and windy. Incident commander Tony Sciacca says wind gusts of up to 30 mph will continue to challenge firefighters throughout the weekend.

Beginning Saturday at noon, the American Red Cross will transition its overnight shelter at Yavapai College to a daytime evacuation center. It will be run 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until it's no longer needed.

Video: FOX 10's Steve Krafft reports from Prescott. He spoke with some DPS helicopter paramedics.

For full coverage on Arizona wildfires, go to myfoxphoenix.com/wildfires

Doce fire updates: www.regionalinfo-alert.org

Check status of loved ones: www.redcross.org/safeandwell

Doce fire information number: 928-777-7552

Fire closure area: www.fs.usda.gov/prescott

Current mandatory evacuation areas: Granite Basin; Alto Recreation Area; Black Jack; Camp Anytown; American Ranch; Sundown Acres; Cielo Grande; Stazinski Road; Mint Creek Wash north to Dome Road

*Individuals who may have seen suspicious activity related to the Doce Fire are asked to contact Forest Service Law Enforcement and Investigations at 928-527-3508*

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press modified.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective wounded; fugitive killed in Manhattan

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:47 PM EDT2014-07-28 20:47:10 GMT
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened near West 4th Street and Jones Street. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in the West Village in Manhattan, officials said. The shootout happened near West 4th Street and Jones Street. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
  • Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:24:34 GMT
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices