NYC Council takes up 911 system glitches - New York News

NYC Council takes up 911 system glitches

Posted: Updated:

By COLLEEN LONG | AP

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City officials said Friday they will further investigate the delay in responding to the scene of a car crash where a 4-year-old girl was crushed.

At a City Council hearing looking into claims the city's new, $2 billion emergency response system is not working properly, Deputy Mayor Cas Holloway said they believe the technology worked during the emergency, and that human error was most likely responsible for a four-minute delay in response time.

Police said Ariel Russo was struck by an unlicensed teenager fleeing police on June 4. The teen had taken his parent's car without permission, was stopped by police for reckless driving and took off, police said. He has been charged with vehicular manslaughter.

Fire Commissioner Sal Cassano said shortly after the crash that there had been a delay, but he believed it was human error. Emergency dispatch and other union officials say it was a system problem, coming on the heels of several other glitches that lasted up to an hour at a time.

On Friday, Holloway said they continued to investigate.

"The technology worked," he said, adding they would make any necessary changes once the investigation is completed.

It's not clear if the delay would have saved the girl's life. Her mother, Sophia Russo, testified Friday in tears but didn't take sides.

"Whether it is human error or a glitch in the system, the end result is a delay in getting the necessary help, care and treatment to the public — and in this case, my daughter, which I believe may have been a substantial factor in her death," she said, reading from a statement, her husband at her side.

Holloway had heated exchanges with City Council members over whether the new system was working properly, and he came armed with a 38-page presentation explaining how the city's emergency system works, why it needed to be upgraded and where the city was in the process. The city's emergency response system is more than three decades old and the effort to upgrade it started in 2004.

He said it was "the first substantial effort to modernize" the nation's largest 911 system, and now "response times have never been better."

Firefighter's union officials disagreed, grumbling loudly and shouting profanities from their audience seats.

The recent glitches occurred during the upgrade of one piece of the system used by the New York Police Department. Essentially, monitors at dispatcher workstations would freeze and had to be reset, forcing dispatchers to record calls with paper and pen.

Holloway said small hiccups were to be expected modernizing such a large system but they were few and far between.

He also said the city is now able to track response times better by measuring how long it takes from when the call comes into the system to when an emergency responder makes it to the scene. Response times were previously calculated from the time crews were dispatched, but lawmakers had been asking for years for a more precise measurement.
   
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
  • Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Long Island beaches reopen to bathing

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:08:19 GMT

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

    Health officials say six Long Island beaches that were closed for one day have reopened to bathing. The Nassau County beaches were closed Monday due to storm water runoff that could negatively impact bacterial levels. The beaches were: Laurel Hollow Beach, Morgan Beach, North Hempstead Beach Park, Sea Cliff Village Beach, Tappen Beach and Theodore Roosevelt Beach.

  • 1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    1 tube of Lincoln Tunnel closed after accident

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:02 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:02:27 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel has been closed after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says four people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices