Navy bans porn pinups, but underlying concerns persist - New York News

Navy bans porn pinups, but underlying concerns persist

Updated:

By: Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News

Last week, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus ordered immediate visual inspections of all Naval workplaces, with the intent of removing pornographic material from public sight.

“The Navy is launching a ‘comprehensive visual inspection' of its properties with a goal of eliminating pornographic materials, including lewd pin-up calendars or other salacious photos found in work spaces and public areas … to ‘ensure (workplaces) are free from materials that create a degrading, hostile, or offensive work environment,' ” Leada Gore reported for Alabama.com. “The inspections, which will include the U.S. Naval Academy, must be complete by June 28 with results back to Mabus by July 12.”

Politico's Philip Ewing wrote, “The anti-porn group Morality in Media said Friday that it ‘applauds' Mabus for his order and challenged Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to take it to the next level. … A Navy spokeswoman confirmed that Mabus's order does not ban the sale of adult material in Navy and Marine Corps exchanges or forbid sailors and Marines from viewing it privately.”

Warren Cole Smith, a reporter at the Christian-centric World Magazine, quoted Family Research Council president Tony Perkins on Wednesday as supporting Mabus’s mandate despite remaining very leery about President Barack Obama’s administration: "(Perkins) praised the decision, but said Mabus is treating the symptoms, not the cause: ‘The Pentagon needs to look deeper to the policies they’ve adopted for more permanent solutions to this crisis. Starting with the repeal of "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" … no one has done more to sexualize the military than President Obama. … While pornography is contributing to the problem, it’s time to take a long, hard look at the White House’s radical social policies and start acknowledging their role in fostering this dangerous, sexually-charged environment.’ "


Original Post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Arrest made in attack of mother, children

    Arrest made in attack of mother, children

    Friday, August 29 2014 6:12 AM EDT2014-08-29 10:12:06 GMT
    The NYPD arrested a suspect in the attempted sexual assault of a mother in front of her three children.  Police say they busted Pedro Vargas, 48, of Yonkers on Thursday.  Chilling surveillance video released by cops showed a  man pretending to be a livery cab driver, pulling the woman out of a car, elbowing her five-year-old child in the face and tossing her three-year-old child onto a sidewalk in Queens.
    The NYPD arrested a suspect in the attempted sexual assault of a mother in front of her three children.  Police say they busted Pedro Vargas, 48, of Yonkers on Thursday.  Chilling surveillance video released by cops showed a  man pretending to be a livery cab driver, pulling the woman out of a car, elbowing her five-year-old child in the face and tossing her three-year-old child onto a sidewalk in Queens.
  • 'Resting comfortably'

    Joan Rivers rushed to NYC hospital

    Joan Rivers rushed to NYC hospital

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:58 AM EDT2014-08-29 09:58:52 GMT
    Hollywood legend Joan Rivers, 81, remains in critical but stable condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. The comedian and TV host was undergoing an outpatient procedure at a clinic on the Upper East Side on Thursday when she went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement saying her mother was "resting comfortably."

    Hollywood legend Joan Rivers, 81, remains in critical but stable condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan. The comedian and TV host was undergoing an outpatient procedure at a clinic on the Upper East Side on Thursday when she went into cardiac arrest and was rushed to the hospital. Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement saying her mother was "resting comfortably."

  • Mayor pushes back pre-k concerns

    Mayor pushes back pre-k concerns

    Thursday, August 28 2014 10:16 PM EDT2014-08-29 02:16:46 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio, educators and city leaders gathered at p.s. 307 in Brooklyn on Thursday to talk with pride about more than 50,000 kids who have enrolled in pre-kindergarten. Universal full-day pre-k was a platform of his campaign when he ran for mayor.Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina also feels the pre-k program is ready for launch.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio, educators and city leaders gathered at p.s. 307 in Brooklyn on Thursday to talk with pride about more than 50,000 kids who have enrolled in pre-kindergarten. Universal full-day pre-k was a platform of his campaign when he ran for mayor.Schools Chancellor Carmen Farina also feels the pre-k program is ready for launch.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices