Detroit Ofc. Joseph Weekley to be retried after jury deadlocks - New York News

Detroit Ofc. Joseph Weekley to be retried after jury deadlocks

Posted: Updated:
Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley
DETROIT (WJBK) -

The trial of Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley has ended with a hung jury. There will now be a new trial after the jurors just could not agree.

At one point Tuesday morning, shouting could be heard from the jury room.

Weekley sat with hands clasped as the judge declared a mistrial. He is accused of involuntary manslaughter and careless discharge of a firearm in the 2010 death of seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones, who was killed during a police raid at her grandmother's home on the city's east side.

After eight days of emotional testimony from Aiyana's family and Officer Weekley himself, the jury spent three days deliberating.

The jury sent three notes to the judge on Tuesday. The first around 1:15 p.m. said "we are stuck."

The second note asked for further instructions on the elements of involuntary manslaughter and proving gross negligence. The judge instructed jurors and sent them back to try again, but a little over an hour later they were deadlocked. Only one of twelve jurors indicated that she thought they could reach a verdict if they continued deliberations. The jury foreman told the judge there was no desire to continue.

Outside, relatives said Aiyana's mother was too emotional to talk, but the girl's grandmother lashed out.

"He admitted he shot and killed her," said Mertilla Jones. "He a dirty cop because he said I touched him. I never touched that man. ... I was never anywhere near Joseph Weekley. He's a lying [expletive] cop."

"They couldn't bring themselves to understand that police commit crimes, too," said Ron Scott from the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality.

We have no idea which jurors were leaning what way. They refused to speak with the media and declined to speak with the attorneys that tried the case.

The case goes back to court next month. A pre-trial date of July 25 has been set.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
  • Garner's family meets U.S. attorney

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:34:05 GMT
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices