Will Shooting Victim's Phone Reach Philly's 'New Apple Store?' - New York News

Will Shooting Victim's Phone Reach Philly's 'New Apple Store?'

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Police are hunting for the gunmen who shot a man for his cell phone overnight in the city's Lawncrest section.

It's a robbery we're seeing more and more of lately, as cell phones seem to be making people targets of violence.

The latest shooting happened just after 1:30 a.m. on the 5900 block of tabor avenue.

Police say the 24-year-old victim was smoking a cigarette on his steps when two men walked up to him.

"According to our victim, the motive for the shooting was a robbery," Chief Inspector Scott Small said. "The only possession he had on him was a cell phone. After giving up the cell phone, according to the victim, that is when -- even though he gave up the cell phone, said he had no money -- that's when one of the two perpetrators fired several shots."

Police said the man was shot five times. He's listed in stable condition at a local hospital.

The gunmen fled the scene on foot.

FOX 29's Steve Keeley reported Tuesday morning from outside police headquarters that this growing crime motive has law enforcement leaders around the country demanding changes from the phone makers.

Last week, a summit was held to urge the biggest companies, like Apple and Samsung, to put "kill switches" in their phones to render them useless, and so worthless, if they're ever stolen.

Police say stealing phones is almost as easy as stealing cash these days because there's easy access to big black-market distribution network out there.

Where can you get these phones? They're being sold on some of the toughest street corners. In fact, in North Philly there's one area where you can probably get a used or stolen cell phone "the new Apple Store," Keeley reported.

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:50 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:50:43 GMT
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • 'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:24 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:24:25 GMT
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.

  • 3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:34:12 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices