Detroit officer charged in 7-year-old's death takes the stand - New York News

Detroit officer charged in 7-year-old's death takes the stand

Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley on the witness stand on Thursday. Detroit police officer Joseph Weekley on the witness stand on Thursday.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

It was a day of dramatic testimony in the manslaughter trial of the Detroit cop charged with killing seven-year-old Aiyana Stanley-Jones as Officer Joseph Weekley took the stand in his own defense.

"You said that you have two daughters. Am I right?" Weekley was asked.

"Yes," he said.

Weekly fought back tears recalling how he left his own six- and eight-year-old daughters to track down a murderer that night back in May of 2010, the night when he shot and killed Aiyana as she slept on the couch. Weekley did not see her. She was covered with a blanket when the flash-bang distractionary device was thrown through the window.

As soon as the bang goes off, I hear a [noise] coming from underneath what I thought was laundry, and so now I'm like there's somebody hiding under here," Weekley said.

The officer testified he had his sights on another man he spotted in a back bedroom, then turned toward the couch where he heard the sound.

"As I swing my weapon towards the person, an unidentified woman hit my weapon down in a downward motion, and I pulled back on the weapon ... I heard a shot," Weekley said.

"When you heard a shot Officer Weekley, did you know it came from your gun?" he was asked.

"No, I didn't," Weekley said.

Instead, he testified he thought he was being fired at and went after the man in the back, but that man did not have a gun, and when Weekley turned around, he said he saw Aiyana and her grandmother and realized what he had done.

"It's your responsibility to have control over that gun, isn't it?" Weekley was asked.

"It is my responsibility to have control over my weapon, yes," he said.

"Your gun is the one that fired the bullet that killed Aiyana, right?" Weekley was asked.

"My bullet, my gun shot and killed a seven-year-old girl, yes," he said.

Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Rob Moran maintained Aiyana's grandmother never went for the gun and that Weekley was lying and made a mistake that was grossly negligent and criminal. At times during the testimony, the exchange was heated.

"In order to get to that front door, you had to step over that little child's chair, didn't you?" Moran asked Weekley.

"No, sir," he said.

"You didn't see that either, did you?" Moran asked Weekley.

"I never saw the chair," he said.

Moran claimed police missed signs that children were in the house and questioned Weekley's story about Mertilla Jones going for his gun.

"All I can see is the shadow of her arm, top of the lady's head, and she's grabbing and hitting down so hard," Weekley said. "As she hits it down, I start to pull it back. I hear the shot, and I immediately go."

"Your testimony is that you didn't know you shot your gun?" Weekley was asked.

"No," he said.

"You didn't hear it shoot?" Weekley was asked.

"I heard it," he said.

"You didn't feel it shoot at all?" Weekley was asked.

"No, I didn't feel it," he said.

"So you pulled the trigger on that gun?" Weekley was asked.

"I pulled the trigger of that gun unintentionally and didn't even realize it at the time," he said.

So was that a crime or was it a tragic accident?

"I just feel devastated and just depressed, and I'll never be the same," Weekley said.

"Do you feel you were negligent at all with how you handled your weapon that night?" he was asked.

"No," Weekley said. "Every day this replays in my head. There's nothing else I could've done differently."

The jury will begin deliberations on Friday.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Freedom from Religion debate heats up at Warren City Hall

Wednesday, April 16 2014 7:12 PM EDT2014-04-16 23:12:16 GMT
    Is Freedom of Religion the same concept as Freedom from Religion? That's the debate one Warren resident is raising at City Hall.

GM looking to bankruptcy court for lawsuit protection

Wednesday, April 16 2014 6:14 PM EDT2014-04-16 22:14:09 GMT
    General Motors says it will ask a federal bankruptcy judge to shield the company from legal claims involving conduct before its 2009 bankruptcy.

New lawyer comes aboard in Bashara case

Tuesday, April 15 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-04-15 22:33:50 GMT
    A man charged with arranging the murder of his wife at their suburban Detroit home has a new lawyer.

Baby found in teen's shopping bag called homicide

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:47 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:47:23 GMT
    The New York City medical examiner has ruled that the death of a baby found in a teenager's shopping bag was a homicide.

Chelsea Clinton: I might run for office

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:36 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:36:50 GMT
    Chelsea Clinton says she might run for office someday - if she becomes dissatisfied with the job her elected representatives are doing.
  • NJ mom charged with trying to kill her 3 teens

NJ mom charged with trying to kill her 3 children

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:25 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:25:35 GMT
    A southern New Jersey woman is in custody on charges she tried to kill her three children by driving her car into the Delaware River.

Former "Howard Stern Show" sidekick Artie Lange hospitalized in Royal Oak

Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:07 PM EDT2014-04-17 01:07:22 GMT
    Former "Howard Stern Show" co-hostArtie Lange is in town for an extended stay, but the circumstances are a little puzzling.Lange posted on his Twitter page this week he's been hospitalized "outside Detroit" after going into diabetic shock. Several other Twitter posts were removed from his page Wednesday, including one that suggested he was being held against his willin thehospital's psychiatric ward.Lange was scheduled to perform last Saturday at the Royal Oak Music Theatre.Artie Lange has be...

Parents unhappy with how principal enforces junk food policy

Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:57 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:57:32 GMT
    Parents of students at T. Dale Cooke Elementary school in Detroit say the principal is enforcing students to eat healthy in the wrong way.

Freedom from Religion debate heats up at Warren City Hall