Oxford school district names parent in letter addressing rumors - New York News

Oxford school district names parent in letter addressing rumors of romance

Posted: Updated:
A school district letter addressed rumors involving Oxford Elementary staff members. A school district letter addressed rumors involving Oxford Elementary staff members.
OXFORD, Mich. (WJBK) -

It was late last week after the last day of school when parents received an unexpected letter in their email that reads more like more soap opera than something from a school district.

"I never, ever heard this rumor, ever," said a concerned parent.

Neither had several other parents from Oxford Elementary School, so they told us they were pretty shocked when a letter signed by the Oxford superintendent, human resources and president of the Board of Education addressing rumors of sexual relations between staff members showed up in their inbox.

"I think there's a hidden agenda. There's more to this story," the concerned parent remarked.

The letter says, in part, that it was written to dispel rumors that Oxford Elementary Principal Jeff Brown has been romantically involved with a staff member, and that the rumors to the district's knowledge and based on their investigation are absolutely not true and continue to be spread by a well known parent in the building that is named.

"Past issues, but to publicly name her and to say that she was supposed to be keeping quiet about something and then send it out to 500 plus families," the concerned parent said.

The letter goes on to say that last May the district met with this parent to stop her from spreading rumors. She agreed to stop, but it has come to their attention that she continues to share this information.

We tried to speak to the woman targeted in this letter. Her friend told us she wasn't commenting and has since retained a lawyer, likely to address the investigation the district launched and now this letter.

The concerned parent said whatever this woman may or may not have done in the past, the district should have never taken this private matter public.

"I think that is intentionally doing something to maliciously harm her no matter what may have happened in the past. I find that malicious. I find that disgusting. I'm outraged that my tax dollars are being raised for that," she said.

Calls to superintendent and a school board member have yet to be returned.

The principal told us there is pending litigation and that he can't comment until he gets permission.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Spy device live-Tweets private conversations

    Spy device live-Tweets private conversations

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:29 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:29:10 GMT
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically live-Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically live-Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
  • Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:42:24 GMT
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
  • De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:20:13 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices