Cosmos sign jersey sponsorship with Emirates - New York News

Cosmos sign jersey sponsorship with Emirates

Posted: Updated:

NEW YORK (AP) -- It remains to be seen whether the revived New York Cosmos will fly, but they have a jersey sponsorship contract with Emirates Airline.

With Pele looking on, the revived soccer team announced the deal with Emirates as it prepares to enter the second-tier North American Soccer League this summer.

"I played 25 years in Santos. We won a lot of tournaments. The World Cup I scored a lot of goals," Pele said. "It's amazing. I arrive in China, I arrive in Africa, they say, `Listen, what happened to New York Cosmos?"'

The 72-year-old Brazilian great, the Cosmos' honorary president, played for Santos from 1956-74 and helped his country win three World Cup titles. The Cosmos became a major attraction when he played for them from 1975-77.

The relaunched team, run by CEO Seamus O'Brien, starts play at Shuart Stadium in Hempstead on Long Island on Aug. 3 against Fort Lauderdale. The Cosmos hope to build a $400 million, 25,000-seat stadium at Belmont Park racetrack.

They enter a market that already has the Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls, who play in Harrison, N.J., and New York City FC, which is co-owned by Manchester City and the New York Yankees and will start MLS play in 2015 at a site to be determined.

"We've got a few years to get our ship up and running," O'Brien said. "We're not scared of competition. I think in any sport and walk of life that's a good thing. And I think the soccer economy of this city is more than large enough to deal with three teams."

 

"I think this will be the biggest soccer market in the world in my lifetime," said O'Brien, who turns 49 next week.

 

Featuring a roster that also included Franz Beckenbauer and Giorgio Chinaglia, the Cosmos played in the old NASL from 1971-84 and folded in 1985.

 

Former MLS players Hunter Freeman and Joseph Nane are among the 15 players on the current Cosmos, who lack any players of note. The team appears to be interested in signing Villarreal's Marcos Senna, a former Spanish national team midfielder who turns 37 next month.

 

"When we're ready to say things, we'll say," Cosmos coach Giovanni Savarese said.

 

Pele arrived a half-hour late for the news conference at a Manhattan hotel. The event was hosted by former Cosmos goalkeeper Shep Messing and attended by former Cosmos players Andranik Eskandarian and Boris Bandov along with Clive Toye, the team's general manager during its heyday.

 

U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati, who joined FIFA's executive committee last week, watched from a front-row seat. There was a poster of Beckenbauer with a headline, "Don't Call It A Comeback."

 

The Cosmos will be the eighth team in the NASL, which is averaging 4,590 fans per game this season. O'Brien said he hopes the Cosmos average 5,000 to 10,000.

 

Emirates Air also is the jersey sponsor of Arsenal, AC Milan, Hamburg, Paris Saint-Germain and, starting next season, Real Madrid.

  • Sports NewsSports NewsMore>>

  • Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for pine tar on neck

    Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda ejected for pine tar on neck

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-04-24 03:07:08 GMT
    AP photoAP photo
    Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda was ejected for using a foreign substance less than two weeks after appearing to get away with it in another game against Boston, and the Red Sox beat New York 5-1 on Wednesday night. The right-hander was thrown out in the second inning when plate umpire Gerry Davis found a shiny substance on the right side of Pineda's neck after Red Sox manager John Farrell asked him to check. Pineda walked from the mound without protest.
    Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda was ejected for using a foreign substance less than two weeks after appearing to get away with it in another game against Boston, and the Red Sox beat New York 5-1 on Wednesday night. The right-hander was thrown out in the second inning when plate umpire Gerry Davis found a shiny substance on the right side of Pineda's neck after Red Sox manager John Farrell asked him to check. Pineda walked from the mound without protest.
  • Lawsuit: ex-Buffalo Bills cheerleaders were exploited, groped

    Lawsuit: ex-Buffalo Bills cheerleaders were exploited, groped

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 8:08 PM EDT2014-04-23 00:08:06 GMT
    Buffalo Bills / NFLBuffalo Bills / NFL
    Five former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders on Tuesday sued the team over a pay system they say had them working hundreds of hours for free at games and at mandatory public appearances at which they were subjected to groping and sexual comments, and one said they had to take a jiggle test so their boss could see how firm their bodies were. The state Supreme Court lawsuit is the third filed this year against a National Football League team by cheerleader...
    Five former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders on Tuesday sued the team over a pay system they say had them working hundreds of hours for free at games and at mandatory public appearances at which they were subjected to groping and sexual comments, and one said they had to take a jiggle test so their boss could see how firm their bodies were. The state Supreme Court lawsuit is the third filed this year against a National Football League team by cheerleader...
  • USA's Keflezighi, Kenya's Jeptoo win Boston Marathon under tight security

    USA's Keflezighi, Kenya's Jeptoo win Boston Marathon under tight security

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:09 PM EDT2014-04-22 02:09:20 GMT
    AP photoAP photo

    "The Star-Spangled Banner" played over Boylston Street in honor of an American winner of the Boston Marathon. One year after a bombing there killed three people and left more than 260 injured, Meb Keflezighi added Boston to a resume that includes the New York City Marathon title in 2009 and a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics. Running just two weeks before his 39th birthday, he had the names of the 2013 bombing victims on his bib.

    "The Star-Spangled Banner" played over Boylston Street in honor of an American winner of the Boston Marathon. One year after a bombing there killed three people and left more than 260 injured, Meb Keflezighi added Boston to a resume that includes the New York City Marathon title in 2009 and a silver medal in the 2004 Olympics. Running just two weeks before his 39th birthday, he had the names of the 2013 bombing victims on his bib.


  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    NJ brush fire forces evacuations

    Thursday, April 24 2014 2:04 PM EDT2014-04-24 18:04:00 GMT
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
    A New Jersey school and several homes were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a large brush fire that was being fanned by winds.Beachwood Intermediate South School was closed just after 12:30 p.m. Parents were told not to report to the school. The Ocean County Sheriff's Dept. said that all children were going to be safely evacuated to another location.
  • Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Cops swarm home after disgruntled Call of Duty gamer calls in swatting hoax

    Thursday, April 24 2014 12:05 PM EDT2014-04-24 16:05:27 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games.
  • Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Girl fights to bring 22-year-old prom date

    Thursday, April 24 2014 11:50 AM EDT2014-04-24 15:50:19 GMT
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
    A Connecticut teenager is appealing to her local Board of Education after school officials rejected her request to bring her 21-year-old boyfriend to her prom.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices