Staff Sgt. Robert Bales to admit Afghan massacre - New York News

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales to admit Afghan massacre

Posted: Updated:
Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers during nighttime raids. (DoD file photo via AP) Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is accused of killing 16 Afghan villagers during nighttime raids. (DoD file photo via AP)

By GENE JOHNSON | AP

SEATTLE (AP) -- The Army staff sergeant charged with slaughtering 16 villagers during one of the worst atrocities of the Afghanistan war has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty, his attorney told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is scheduled to enter guilty pleas to charges of premeditated murder June 5 at Joint Base Lewis-McChord south of Seattle, said lawyer John Henry Browne. A sentencing-phase trial set for September will determine whether he is sentenced to life in prison with or without the possibility of parole. The judge and the commanding general at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, where Bales is being held, must approve a plea deal.

"The judge will be asking questions of Sgt. Bales about what he did, what he remembers and his state of mind," Browne said. "The deal that has been worked out ... is they take the death penalty off the table, and he pleads as charged, pretty much."

An Army spokeswoman at Joint Base Lewis-McChord did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday.

Browne previously indicated Bales remembered little from the night of the massacre, and he said that was true in the early days after the attack. But as further details and records emerged, Bales' began to remember what he did, the lawyer said.

Bales is contrite about the killings, Browne said. The attorney would not elaborate on what his client will tell the judge. He described Bales as "crazed" and "broken" the night of the attack.

The defense team, including military lawyers assigned to Bales as well as Browne's co-counsel, Emma Scanlan, eventually determined after having Bales examined by psychiatrists that he would not be able to prove any claim of insanity or diminished capacity at the time of the attack, Browne said.

Bales, an Ohio native and father of two from Lake Tapps, Wash., slipped away from his remote southern Afghanistan outpost at Camp Belambay early on March 11, 2012, and attacked mud-walled compounds in two slumbering villages nearby. He had been drinking contraband alcohol, snorting Valium that was provided to him by another soldier, and had been taking steroids before the attack.

Most of the victims were women and children, and some of the bodies were piled and burned. The slayings drew such angry protests that the U.S. temporarily halted combat operations in Afghanistan. It was three weeks before American investigators could reach the crime scenes.

Bales was serving his fourth tour in a combat zone, and the allegations against him raised questions about the toll multiple deployments were taking on American troops. For that reason, many legal experts believed it that it was unlikely that he would receive the death penalty, as Army prosecutors were seeking. The military justice system hasn't executed anyone since 1961.

Nevertheless, the plea deal could inflame tensions in Afghanistan. In interviews with the AP in Kandahar in April, relatives of the victims became outraged at the notion Bales might escape the death penalty and even vowed revenge.

"For this one thing, we would kill 100 American soldiers," said Mohammed Wazir, who had 11 family members killed that night, including his mother and 2-year-old daughter.

"A prison sentence doesn't mean anything," said Said Jan, whose wife and three other relatives died. "I know we have no power now. But I will become stronger, and if he does not hang, I will have my revenge."

Three of Jan's other family members were wounded, including his 7-year-old granddaughter, who was shot in the head.

AP's special regional correspondent for Afghanistan and Pakistan, Kathy Gannon, contributed from Kandahar.

  • MilitaryMore>>

  • Staff Sgt. Ryan M. Pitts

    Army veteran receives Medal of Honor for bloody Afghanistan battle

    Army veteran receives Medal of Honor for bloody Afghanistan battle

    Monday, July 21 2014 4:17 PM EDT2014-07-21 20:17:48 GMT
    White House imageWhite House image
    President Barack Obama bestowed the Medal of Honor Monday on a former Army staff sergeant who fought off enemy fighters during one of the bloodiest battles of the Afghanistan war. Ryan M. Pitts is the ninth living recipient of the nation's highest decoration for battlefield valor for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    President Barack Obama bestowed the Medal of Honor Monday on a former Army staff sergeant who fought off enemy fighters during one of the bloodiest battles of the Afghanistan war. Ryan M. Pitts is the ninth living recipient of the nation's highest decoration for battlefield valor for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Coast Guard Cutter Eagle: 'America's Tall Ship'

    Coast Guard Cutter Eagle: 'America's Tall Ship'

    Friday, July 18 2014 6:22 PM EDT2014-07-18 22:22:04 GMT
    The boatswain's pipe aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Eagle rendered honors, Friday, not for Fox 5 but for some more dignified individual who'd just climbed aboard one of the very few active square riggers still in U.S. government service. Riveted together in Hamburg, Germany, for the German Navy, the Eagle earned its American citizenship when the United States seized it after World War II.
    The boatswain's pipe aboard the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Eagle rendered honors, Friday, not for Fox 5 but for some more dignified individual who'd just climbed aboard one of the very few active square riggers still in U.S. government service. Riveted together in Hamburg, Germany, for the German Navy, the Eagle earned its American citizenship when the United States seized it after World War II.
  • Soldiers' use of mental health services up, stigma down

    Soldiers' use of mental health services up, stigma down

    As war raged in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. soldiers almost doubled their use of mental health services -- and they felt more comfortable seeking such treatment, according to new research.
    As war raged in Iraq and Afghanistan, U.S. soldiers almost doubled their use of mental health services -- and they felt more comfortable seeking such treatment, according to new research.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
  • 'Mortified': stage performers over share

    'Mortified': stage performers over share

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:56:08 GMT
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
  • FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:39 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:39:02 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices