Portage Theater closed for now - New York News

Portage Theater closed for now

Posted: Updated:
http://www.portagetheater.org http://www.portagetheater.org
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

Portage Theater owner Eddie Carranza said the doors to the historic movie palace will stay closed for several months, or at least until he can transfer a license to a new operator, the Chicago Sun-Times is reporting.

The 93-year-old landmark theater at 4050 N. Milwaukee Ave. was shut down on Friday after Ald. John Arena (45th) blocked Carranza's application for a liquor license, according to Carranza.

"I'm taking offers," Carranza said on Saturday. "Offers are pouring in to operate [the] theater."

The theater's doors will stay closed until Carranza — remaining as the owner — can transfer a license to the new operator, which he said can take several months.

Arena could not be reached for comment Saturday.

Carranza, meanwhile, criticized the theater's current operator, saying he'll rent "to a different operator who can do a better job in operating and programming the theater then how it's currently being operated."

The theater is leased to an operation that exhibits classic and historic films. It's also the home to two film societies.

Carranza has had a tempestuous relationship with Arena, who in September released an email to ward residents calling him a "liar" after he served former management with a five-day eviction notice.

Last year, neighbors rallied behind the theater's continued use for movies and cultural events when a church had a pending deal to buy Portage. The church took back its offer and the Portage was later sold to Carranza.

Friday was a bad day for Carranza, who also learned his other entertainment venue, the Congress Theater had lost its liquor and business licenses following a city disciplinary hearing.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:50 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:50:43 GMT
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • 'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    'Broken Windows' tactic questioned as chokehold victim laid to rest

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 7:24 AM EDT2014-07-23 11:24:25 GMT
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.
    The recent death of a man from Staten Island while he was being arrested by NYPD officers is calling into question a police crackdown on petty offenses to discourage more serious crime. Critics say policing based on the so-called "broken windows" theory can needlessly put people at risk and fuel tensions in the city's minority communities.

  • 3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    3 NYC boys get recording contract approval

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-07-23 10:34:12 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.
    Three middle school students got permission from a Manhattan judge to sign a multi-year recording contract with Sony. The court's approval allows the heavy metal band, Unlocking the Truth, to record their first single Wednesday for The Cherry Group, a division of Sony. The Brooklyn boys had to get court approval because they are minors.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices