`It Can Wait` campaign aims to curb texting while driving - New York News

`It Can Wait` campaign aims to curb texting while driving

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

We all know drinking and driving is dangerous, but one study says texting while driving is just as bad.

Mary and Ron Dye's daughter, Mariah West, was killed in a texting and driving accident, one day before her high school graduation four years ago.

She was driving, going to meet a friend, when he sent her a text. West looked down to read it and moments later she was in a coma.

"This is actually an epidemic for the good kids," Mary Dye says. "The ones who have the jobs, who have the family circle, who are doing well in school so they got a phone for a present."

The Dyes are part of the "It Can Wait" campaign and their tragedy is featured in a video called "The Last Text."

Awareness has increased for teen drivers but sadly, the Dyes say, adults send more text messages and emails while driving than their children.

The campaign kicks off this week and runs through what AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-mobile, call the 100 deadliest days for teen drivers. They're highlighting the dangers of texting and driving and encouraging teens and adults to take the pledge against texting, emailing and talking on the phone while driving.

It's a message students at Roosevelt High School have heard before, but they say never like this.

"It got me scared," says high school sophomore Aria Carrera. "It really got me scared and it kinda convinced me that texting while driving is not a good thing and that I should never even try to do it."

"It really makes you look and think about how quick something can end or how a certain incident can just stop a moment of somebody's life or end a life just that quickly," says student Daniel Green.

Studies show that texting while driving makes you 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash. So while parents are telling their children what not to do, this effort is telling everyone it's time to stop.

Take the pledge against texting and driving here.

Follow Us!

Share Your Photos & Video

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:28:00 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato.

    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.


Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices