Unofficial start to beach season - New York News

Vast majority of beaches ready for holiday weekend

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The unofficial start of summer is being met with not-so-perfect beach weather. Many beach communities had been hoping for good weather this Memorial Day weekend following the destruction caused by Superstorm Sandy.

Rain is in the forecast on Friday and Saturday. 

By Sunday, it's expected to clear up with highs around 70 for most of the Tristate. And on Monday, Memorial Day, forecasters are calling for sunny skies and highs in the 70s.

"The vast majority of New York beaches open tomorrow (Saturday). The Rockaways—they've been doing a lot of redevelopment there. The beach concession stands, bathrooms, the Rockaway Taco area all are up and running," said Sarah Bruning of Time Out New York.

Fort Tilden near Breezy Point in the Rockaways will remain closed throughout the summer and likely into next summer.

"Coney Island is looking really great. The only portion that is not quite ready is the southern end. Between West 22nd and West 24th is ready to go. They are bringing in temporary structures.  Nathan's opened on Friday," added Bruning.

Federal budgets cuts have forced the cancellation of Fleet Week in New York City.

In New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie cut a ribbon Friday to symbolically reopen the state's shore for the summer season, seven months after being devastated by Superstorm Sandy.

He appeared on national television to do the cutting in Seaside Heights.

The ribbon was five-miles long, stretching through parts of the northern barrier island in Ocean County.

Several New Jersey beach communities have annual beach ribbon cuttings, announcing they are back in business. But this year's ceremonies are more poignant seven months after a storm that did an estimated $37 billion of damage in the state.

"Sandy Hook is much better shape than anyone imagined. All the beaches have been reopened. Belmar is in great shape. They built an $8M boardwalk. There are temporary pavilions ready to serve beachgoers," said Ken Schlager, editor, NJ Monthly magazine.

Mantoloking remains devastated with the rubble of many destroyed homes yet to be removed. 

BEACH INFORMATION

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices