Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment - New York News

Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment

Rep. Brian Banks Rep. Brian Banks
  • Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassmentMore>>

Questions over some of state Rep. Brian Banks' actions

Thursday, May 16 2013 12:15 AM EDT2013-05-16 04:15:25 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks has been in Lansing for less than five months, but some of his actions are already raising questions about his judgment.

Cops want Banks charged for bad checks

Wednesday, April 3 2013 11:10 PM EDT2013-04-04 03:10:34 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks had to overcome some previous felony convictions to win his seat in Lansing.  He did his time for those crimes, but history may be repeating itself.

State Rep. Brian Banks' landlord says he is owed rent money

Monday, February 25 2013 7:39 PM EST2013-02-26 00:39:31 GMT
    After we revealed his many legal troubles, newly elected lawmaker Brian Banks said his past was his past, but for his landlord, who wants to evict him, the new Brian Banks looks a whole lot like the old Brian Banks.

State Representative-elect Brian Banks has a transportation problem

Monday, November 12 2012 10:45 PM EST2012-11-13 03:45:25 GMT
    Brian Banks is a man of convictions and evictions, and here's something else voters didn't know when they decided to send him to Lansing.  For his first trip, he may have to hitchhike.

A lawsuit Tramaine Cotton has filed versus Rep. Brian Banks and the State of Michigan alleges sexual harassment.

Click here to read the lawsuit. We must warn you, some of its content is explicit.

I revealed last week that Cotton is a party promoter Banks put on the state payroll as his legislative aide. Now Cotton has told me the job was a sham.

"He basically told me that I would be getting full-time pay and full-time benefits, but I'm part-time," Cotton said.

"His primary job responsibility was to transport Mr. Banks back and forth from Detroit to Lansing," said attorney Darryl Segars.

"Once he got the boss to the office, then what was there?" I asked.

"I would be on Facebook promoting my parties," Cotton said.

Unlike most legislative aides, Cotton said he didn't work on public policy matters or help John and Joan Q. Public with their problems.

"No constituents can say, you know, they spoke with me and I got something taken care of for them or anything of that nature. Like that wasn't my job," Cotton explained.

Cotton said that was okay with Banks.

"I got a raise. I hadn't even been there 90 days and I got a raise. So obviously I was doing, you know, the right thing," he remarked.

Cotton's pay increased to $29,150 last month, but he said that wasn't the only tab Banks stuck taxpayers with. Cotton said he drove Banks to work most of the time, but Banks pocketed the mileage.

"He would fill out his form and I would take it upstairs to the business center for him, but I never got, you know, money for none of that," Cotton said.

Cotton said he could deal with getting cheated out of gas money, but he soon got tired of Banks' unwanted sexual advances.

"When I first started working for him, it was overwhelming compliments. Oh, you look nice. Very nice suit. Nice haircut. Where you get your hair cut at? Nice smile," Cotton said.

Cotton and Segars allege that Banks regularly pressured Cotton to spend the night with him.

"After we left the fundraiser, we go to the hotel, and he's like, 'So, you're really going to stay?' And I'm like, 'I don't want to, but, I mean, if you're talking about I'm not doing my job because I'm not staying up here, I'll chill. I'll stay today,'" Cotton said.

In his lawsuit and in an exclusive interview, Cotton said he let Banks give him oral sex, but it was against his will.

"I needed that, you know, money every two weeks, so I couldn't just walk away from it. So that's the reason why that night I let him, you know, perform oral sex on him. Like, okay, well maybe after that, he got what he wanted, hopefully he would just leave me alone," Cotton said.

I tried to give Banks a copy of the lawsuit so he could respond to Cotton's allegations, but Banks just walked away.

House Speaker Jase Bolger and Democratic leader Tim Greimel also declined comment.

Segars said Banks lavished Cotton with expensive sneakers and cologne.

Cotton said he quit earlier this month because Banks continued to harass him.

"I said, 'I'm done with this. I can't do it no more. Like it's too much. As much as I want the money, like it's too much,'" Cotton said.

"There's really no level playing field here. Brian Banks had all the leverage," Segars said.

"It sounds like at some point Mr. Banks acted more like a jealous lover than a boss," I said.

"Not at some points, at most points," Segars said.

Still, Cotton said he thinks Banks was a fine lawmaker.

"He's a good guy when it comes to, you know, a good mind and the way he want the state to go and laws and things of that nature," Cotton said.

It's important to note that these are just allegations. Banks had not seen the lawsuit until I went to Lansing Tuesday afternoon, and like many defendants, he is choosing not to comment until he is served personally with the lawsuit. That may happen as soon as Wednesday.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.

Minimum wage hike launches this Labor Day

Monday, September 1 2014 7:30 AM EDT2014-09-01 11:30:54 GMT
    Minimum wage workers across metro Detroit and the rest of the state are getting a small raise this Labor Day.

All you need to know: Arts, Beats and Eats 2014

Monday, September 1 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-09-01 11:28:22 GMT
    Celebrating its 17th year and returning to the bustling streets of Royal Oak from Aug. 29 - Sept. 1, Ford Arts, Beats Eats presented by FirstMerit Bank will entertain thousands of visitors from across the region with its outstanding music line-up, stellar arts programming, mouthwatering selection of food, and a number of new attractions this Labor Day weekend.

VP Joe Biden speaking in Detroit on Labor Day

Monday, September 1 2014 7:19 AM EDT2014-09-01 11:19:13 GMT
    Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to be in Detroit on Labor Day for the second time in three years.