Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment - New York News

Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassment

Rep. Brian Banks Rep. Brian Banks
  • Rep. Brian Banks sued for sexual harassmentMore>>

Questions over some of state Rep. Brian Banks' actions

Thursday, May 16 2013 12:15 AM EDT2013-05-16 04:15:25 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks has been in Lansing for less than five months, but some of his actions are already raising questions about his judgment.

Cops want Banks charged for bad checks

Wednesday, April 3 2013 11:10 PM EDT2013-04-04 03:10:34 GMT
    State Representative Brian Banks had to overcome some previous felony convictions to win his seat in Lansing.  He did his time for those crimes, but history may be repeating itself.

State Rep. Brian Banks' landlord says he is owed rent money

Monday, February 25 2013 7:39 PM EST2013-02-26 00:39:31 GMT
    After we revealed his many legal troubles, newly elected lawmaker Brian Banks said his past was his past, but for his landlord, who wants to evict him, the new Brian Banks looks a whole lot like the old Brian Banks.

State Representative-elect Brian Banks has a transportation problem

Monday, November 12 2012 10:45 PM EST2012-11-13 03:45:25 GMT
    Brian Banks is a man of convictions and evictions, and here's something else voters didn't know when they decided to send him to Lansing.  For his first trip, he may have to hitchhike.

A lawsuit Tramaine Cotton has filed versus Rep. Brian Banks and the State of Michigan alleges sexual harassment.

Click here to read the lawsuit. We must warn you, some of its content is explicit.

I revealed last week that Cotton is a party promoter Banks put on the state payroll as his legislative aide. Now Cotton has told me the job was a sham.

"He basically told me that I would be getting full-time pay and full-time benefits, but I'm part-time," Cotton said.

"His primary job responsibility was to transport Mr. Banks back and forth from Detroit to Lansing," said attorney Darryl Segars.

"Once he got the boss to the office, then what was there?" I asked.

"I would be on Facebook promoting my parties," Cotton said.

Unlike most legislative aides, Cotton said he didn't work on public policy matters or help John and Joan Q. Public with their problems.

"No constituents can say, you know, they spoke with me and I got something taken care of for them or anything of that nature. Like that wasn't my job," Cotton explained.

Cotton said that was okay with Banks.

"I got a raise. I hadn't even been there 90 days and I got a raise. So obviously I was doing, you know, the right thing," he remarked.

Cotton's pay increased to $29,150 last month, but he said that wasn't the only tab Banks stuck taxpayers with. Cotton said he drove Banks to work most of the time, but Banks pocketed the mileage.

"He would fill out his form and I would take it upstairs to the business center for him, but I never got, you know, money for none of that," Cotton said.

Cotton said he could deal with getting cheated out of gas money, but he soon got tired of Banks' unwanted sexual advances.

"When I first started working for him, it was overwhelming compliments. Oh, you look nice. Very nice suit. Nice haircut. Where you get your hair cut at? Nice smile," Cotton said.

Cotton and Segars allege that Banks regularly pressured Cotton to spend the night with him.

"After we left the fundraiser, we go to the hotel, and he's like, 'So, you're really going to stay?' And I'm like, 'I don't want to, but, I mean, if you're talking about I'm not doing my job because I'm not staying up here, I'll chill. I'll stay today,'" Cotton said.

In his lawsuit and in an exclusive interview, Cotton said he let Banks give him oral sex, but it was against his will.

"I needed that, you know, money every two weeks, so I couldn't just walk away from it. So that's the reason why that night I let him, you know, perform oral sex on him. Like, okay, well maybe after that, he got what he wanted, hopefully he would just leave me alone," Cotton said.

I tried to give Banks a copy of the lawsuit so he could respond to Cotton's allegations, but Banks just walked away.

House Speaker Jase Bolger and Democratic leader Tim Greimel also declined comment.

Segars said Banks lavished Cotton with expensive sneakers and cologne.

Cotton said he quit earlier this month because Banks continued to harass him.

"I said, 'I'm done with this. I can't do it no more. Like it's too much. As much as I want the money, like it's too much,'" Cotton said.

"There's really no level playing field here. Brian Banks had all the leverage," Segars said.

"It sounds like at some point Mr. Banks acted more like a jealous lover than a boss," I said.

"Not at some points, at most points," Segars said.

Still, Cotton said he thinks Banks was a fine lawmaker.

"He's a good guy when it comes to, you know, a good mind and the way he want the state to go and laws and things of that nature," Cotton said.

It's important to note that these are just allegations. Banks had not seen the lawsuit until I went to Lansing Tuesday afternoon, and like many defendants, he is choosing not to comment until he is served personally with the lawsuit. That may happen as soon as Wednesday.

• The Big Idea

Making New York City more energy efficient

Making New York City more energy efficient

Friday, July 25 2014 8:45 PM EDT2014-07-26 00:45:49 GMT
    More than half the population of New York City rides public transportation to work. No other metropolis in this country even approaches that percentage or the MTA's total number of riders. For that reason, New York likely ranks as the most energy-efficient city in the nation. But what would it take to make the city even more energy-efficient or even self-sufficient?
  • Another company to give family free cruise

Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

Family of 5-year-old with cancer upset with cruise line

Friday, July 25 2014 6:52 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:52:08 GMT
    A Long Island family is upset that a cruise line won't accommodate them after their 5-year-old son had to have emergency surgery for cancer. Nicolas Colucci and the rest of his family was supposed to go on a cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway. They did not buy travel insurance, so Norwegian says they cannot rebook the cruise so close to departure. The CEO of a rival cruise line saw their story and reached out to the Colucci family to offer them a free cruise.
  • Hudson River Sloop Clearwater

Pete Seeger's environmental legacy lives on

Pete Seeger's environmental legacy lives on

Friday, July 25 2014 6:16 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:16:30 GMT
    American folk singer and activist Pete Seeger's passion for music and the environment embodied who he was every single day of his life. In 1966, Seeger co-founded the organization Hudson River Sloop Clearwater. Ever since, Seeger's 106-foot-long sloop, Clearwater, has been sailing up and down the Hudson River to educate and inspire children to protect the environment.

Jimmy Buffett on why he loves to play in Detroit

Friday, July 25 2014 9:08 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:08:27 GMT
    Fox 2 caught up with Jimmy, who tells us he remembers working the crowd into party mode the day Detroit declared bankruptcy.

New hearing aid technology syncs with your iPhone

Friday, July 25 2014 9:03 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:03:18 GMT
    Ten percent of Americans have some hearing loss but most of the people who could get help from a hearing aid won't wear one because they are embarrassed. But now, new technology may change the way we feel about hearing aids.

Vandals damage historic Detroit cemetery

Friday, July 25 2014 8:14 PM EDT2014-07-26 00:14:07 GMT
    Photo by Pat Krause who has loved ones buried at WoodmerePhoto by Pat Krause who has loved ones buried at Woodmere
    Police are looking for suspects after vandals disturb the peace at a historic Detroit cemetery. Someone broke into a mausoleum and made a mess with spray paint and ashes.