2-year-old girl found safe in Arkansas, father arrested - New York News

2-year-old girl found safe in Arkansas, father arrested

Posted: Updated:
Authorities released this photo of 2-year-old Sorelle Torrez, who was taken from Sandy Springs on Friday morning. Authorities released this photo of 2-year-old Sorelle Torrez, who was taken from Sandy Springs on Friday morning.
SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. -

A 2-year-old girl allegedly abducted by her father in Sandy Springs was found in Arkansas on Friday, police said.

According to police, Sorelle Torrez was taken from her mother at the Chastain Apartments on Roswell Road just after 8 a.m. Friday.

Sandy Springs police say the girl's father, 30-year-old Zeb Lockett, approached her mother, Natalie Torrez, while she was dropping her child off at her babysitter's apartment complex.  They say he pushed the mother from her vehicle and fled with the little girl inside.  

"He ran behind me, pushed me in the car, pushed me on the floor of the car and held me in the car with his knee so that I couldn't get out and was attempting to close the door," Torrez said.

Authorities issued a Levi's Call and a massive search began.

An Arkansas State Trooper located the child and the father around 4:25 p.m. in West Memphis, Ark. Police there had stationed two officers along the interstate as lookouts after Sandy Springs authorities told them Lockett had family in the state.

Lockett was taken into custody without incident.

The child was checked out at a local hospital and was found to be OK. Her mother drove to West Memphis to be reunited with her on Friday night.

"She was extremely relieved. She was very emotional, but very happy just to know that her daughter was OK," said Capt. John Mullin of the Sandy Springs Police Department.

Authorities say Lockett has been arrested previously for domestic violence. Natalie Torrez had taken a protective order out against him on Monday.

Lockett faces several charges, including kidnapping, aggravated stalking and theft of a motor vehicle. It is not yet clear when he will be extradited back to Georgia.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices