Filing seeks criminal checks in Boston Bulger case - New York News

Filing seeks criminal checks in Boston Bulger case

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (AP) - Federal prosecutors asked the court Thursday to allow criminal background checks on potential jurors in the racketeering trial of reputed gangster James "Whitey" Bulger.

In a court filing, they cited the case of convicted killer Gary Sampson, who was sentenced to death for carjacking and killing two Massachusetts men and was also convicted of killing a New Hampshire man during a weeklong crime spree in 2001. Sampson's sentence was set aside by a judge who found that one juror had repeatedly given dishonest answers to questions about her life.

Prosecutors said conducting background checks will help determine whether potential jurors have truthfully answered questionnaires and will minimize the possibility of a mistrial.

Bulger, 83, the former leader of the Winter Hill Gang, is scheduled to go on trial in June on an indictment accusing him of participating in 19 murders. Bulger fled Boston in late 1994 and remained one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives until he was captured in Santa Monica, Calif., in 2011.

In the filing, prosecutors argued that some federal courts, including the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, have found that criminal background checks of jurors are appropriate.

"As the Court is aware, trial of this matter will likely take several months, consume considerable resources, and have an obvious emotional impact on the victims," the motion states. "It is thus important to take steps necessary to address potential appellate issues in the first instance."

Bulger's lawyers had no immediate comment, but plan to file a written response to the request.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Girl drowns off Coney Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:07:25 GMT
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
    A girl from Staten Island apparently drowned off Coney Island Beach Tuesday evening, police said. Good Samaritans pulled Takara McDuffy, 10, and a 9-year-old girl from the water near Stillwell Avenue at about 7 p.m., the NYPD said. Medics took McDuffy to Coney Island Hospital where she was pronounced dead, authorities said.
  • 'Mortified': stage performers over share

    'Mortified': stage performers over share

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:56 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:56:08 GMT
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
    Some might call Jenn Wehrung a performance artist. Others, more simply, a masochist. This Brooklynite shares her deepest innermost thoughts from 6th grade in a show perhaps best summed up by its name: "Mortified."Wehrung is 37, single, and claims to have $37 in her bank account.Financially poor maybe, the ensemble real-life characters of "Mortified" are all filthy rich in memories.
  • FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    FAA bans U.S. flights to Tel Aviv airport

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:39 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:39:02 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has banned U.S. carriers from flying to Israel's main airport for 24 hours. The FAA made the announcement at about 12:40 p.m. on Tuesday. This comes after two U.S. airlines cancelled all flights to Israel until further notice following a rocket landing near the Ben-Gurion Airport earlier in the day.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices