DETROIT, MI - Register now for one of the most inspirational experiences in metro Detroit - the 22nd Annual Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®, locally presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute.
The 2013 Komen Race for the Cure will be held Saturday, May 18, at Comerica Park.
The Komen Detroit Race helps low-income, uninsured and under-served women and men in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties access life-saving breast cancer screenings and treatment services. Your support helps save lives.
Youths age 6 - 17 and seniors age 65 and older:
$17 now through May 16
$25 on Race day
Adults age 18 - 64:
$35 now through May 16
$50 to register on-site on Race day, May 18, beginning at 7 a.m.
All registrations include a Race packet with t-shirt and numbered bib. Survivors receive an additional pink shirt, hat and commemorative Race lapel pin.
Manual (paper form) registration costs slightly more and is available at a variety of one-stop locations listed on the Komen Detroit website.
Children ages 5 and under are free but must be officially registered by a parent or guardian to participate.
For those who may not be able to attend the Race or just prefer to sleep in on May 18, Sleep In For The Cure® <http://www.karmanoscancer.org/KomenDetroit/sleepinforthecure.aspx> is just the ticket! Those who register in this category get a "Do Not Disturb" hang tag and a special "sn00ze" Race bib and Race t-shirt. For more information visit <http://www.karmanoscancer.org/KomenDetroit/registration.aspx>
SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE
Known as one of the best days in the city of Detroit, the May 18, 2013 Komen Detroit Race for the Cure® has something for everyone. Ten thousand pink ribbons will decorate the Woodward Race route where 22 bands and entertainment groups will perform; sponsors will have giveaways and offer exciting interactive activities.
WHAT: 22nd Annual Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®
5K Run/Walk and 1-Mile Walk
Locally presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute
WHEN: Saturday, May 18, 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
7.a.m. Streets Closed / Registration
8 a.m. Opening Ceremony
9 a.m. 5K Run, 5K Walk & 1 Mile Walk
10:30 - 11:30 a.m Closing Ceremony
WHERE: Comerica Park - Midtown Detroit
WHY: To help save lives and end breast cancer forever.
WHAT YOU'LL SEE
Children's Activities Area 10,000 pink ribbons and WSU ArtsCorps Detroit figures 22 bands/entertainment groups Pink carpet-runway for Survivors Warriors in Pink Drummers, powered by Ford Ford Warriors in Pink interactive trailer Memorial Site - ArtsCorps Detroit communal art Surprises from Route NeighborsSurvivor Café and Survivor Trolley Numerous sponsor giveaways Shop for the Cure® Warriors in Pink apparel New Balance Lace up for the Cure® gear Opening Ceremony hosted by Lila Lazarus Closing Ceremony with runner and team awards Local media celebritiesMany metro Detroit businesses will be offering incentives to Race registrants wearing this year's Race t-shirt. Visit the Komen Detroit website in the coming weeks for more information.
THE IMPACT OF YOUR PARTICIPATION
"For more than three decades, Susan G. Komen has been seeking cures and helping low-income, uninsured and under-served women have access to life-saving breast cancer screenings and treatment services. That mission has never changed," said Maureen Keenan Meldrum, chair, Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®. "Here in metro Detroit, since 1992, the Komen Detroit Race has raised and invested over $23 million to help end breast cancer. We're grateful for the continued support of metro Detroiters and look forward to seeing everyone on May 18 as we unite as a community to help save lives and end breast cancer."
Each year, the Race awards 75 percent of the net proceeds to breast cancer screening, treatment support and education programs for medically underserved people in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. The remaining 25 percent funds breast cancer research grants awarded through Susan G. Komen.
Thanks to a generous crowd of 30,000, including 1,200 volunteers, 500 teams and 100 sponsors and underwriters, the 2012 Komen Detroit Race for the Cure® awarded more than $1.55 million to local community programs as a result of $2.3 million raised. In addition, $317,300 was contributed to Komen's Award and Research Grant Program, benefitting scientists committed to ending breast cancer.
The Karmanos Cancer Institute has served as the local presenting sponsor of the Komen Detroit Race for the Cure® since its inception in 1992.
To register for the May 18, 2013 Race or to learn more about sponsorship opportunities go to Komen Detroit Race for the Cure <http://www.karmanoscancer.org/KomenDetroit/race.aspx> or <http://www.karmanoscancer.org/KomenDetroit/race.aspx>.