Organizers keep 'Run, Walk, Boom' event name after bombings - New York News

Organizers keep 'Run, Walk, Boom' event name after Boston bombings

Posted: Updated:
Photo of the question posed on the 'Run, Walk, Boom' event web site. Photo of the question posed on the 'Run, Walk, Boom' event web site.

HUNTINGTON WOODS, Mich. (AP) -- Organizers of a fundraiser to support a Detroit suburb's July 4 fireworks show plan to keep the event's name after reconsidering it following the Boston Marathon bombings.

The "Run/Walk BOOM!!!" races are June 29. Last year's inaugural Huntington Woods event attracted hundreds of participants, raising thousands of dollars.

The name drew attention after the bombings, and an online survey found support for keeping the name. Organizing committee member Alex Cooper told The Daily Tribune of Royal Oak (http://bit.ly/126BDQu ) that the name will be kept this year and then reevaluated.

"I certainly thought we had to change it, but after reading all the comments I see a lot of people have a different take," he said. "No matter what we do some people will be satisfied and some won't but the level of intensity from the people saying don't change it was a little stronger."

Some respondents to the survey said that the name should be changed, while others said changing the name would be a knee-jerk reaction.

Moments of silence are planned at the start of the races to honor Boston victims. They'll take place before the 1-mile event at 8:30 a.m. and the 5K at 9 a.m.

Ed Koslov of Huntington Woods, president of the Motor City Striders, said runners have been taking a moment to remember the lives lost and changed at the Boston Marathon at all area race events he has directed for the last three weekends.

"The crowds are very quiet and respectful," Koslov said.

Koslov is the Huntington Woods event's race course director and, along with committee members, will discuss with attendees about thoughts on the 2014 race.

"Even in our constant news-changing world, there will be a lot of press on the ... anniversary and we don't want to relive negative memories with our title," Koslov said.

------
Online:
http://www.runwalkboom.com

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • PETA protests Central Park horse-drawn carriages

    PETA protests Central Park horse-drawn carriages

    Thursday, April 24 2014 6:08 PM EDT2014-04-24 22:08:12 GMT
    Chanting the mayor's name in appreciation, some 50 demonstrators protested horse-drawn carriages in the city on Thursday. The protest was organized by PETA and NYCLASS after a horse fell on the corner of 5th Avenue and 59th Street Wednesday. The protestors said the horse was spooked by a bus and cited witness accounts who shot some video. The horse that fell is 15-year-old Spartacus.
    Chanting the mayor's name in appreciation, some 50 demonstrators protested horse-drawn carriages in the city on Thursday. The protest was organized by PETA and NYCLASS after a horse fell on the corner of 5th Avenue and 59th Street Wednesday. The protestors said the horse was spooked by a bus and cited witness accounts who shot some video. The horse that fell is 15-year-old Spartacus.
  • Superstorm Sandy

    NYU Langone unveils rebuilt emergency room

    NYU Langone unveils rebuilt emergency room

    Thursday, April 24 2014 5:54 PM EDT2014-04-24 21:54:40 GMT
    A year and a half after Superstorm Sandy hit New York, a major city emergency facility that was destroyed finally fully reopened Thursday — with waterproof walls. Gov. Andrew Cuomo joined Mayor Bill de Blasio and other dignitaries to celebrate the emergency complex at the NYU Langone Medical Center, which is now triple the size of the old one and equipped with the latest technology.
    A year and a half after Superstorm Sandy hit New York, a major city emergency facility that was destroyed finally fully reopened Thursday — with waterproof walls. Gov. Andrew Cuomo joined Mayor Bill de Blasio and other dignitaries to celebrate the emergency complex at the NYU Langone Medical Center, which is now triple the size of the old one and equipped with the latest technology.
  • Princeton University giving town $24M

    Princeton University giving town $24M

    Thursday, April 24 2014 5:33 PM EDT2014-04-24 21:33:55 GMT
    Princeton University has agreed to contribute more than $24 million over the next seven years to the town of Princeton. The deal was announced Thursday and is set for consideration by the town government's approval on Monday. The university and town officials frame it was as a way to resolve an age-old issue in college towns where much of the land is university-owned and thus tax-exempt.
    Princeton University has agreed to contribute more than $24 million over the next seven years to the town of Princeton. The deal was announced Thursday and is set for consideration by the town government's approval on Monday. The university and town officials frame it was as a way to resolve an age-old issue in college towns where much of the land is university-owned and thus tax-exempt.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices