Builders bulldoze Mayan pyramid in Belize - New York News

Builders bulldoze Mayan pyramid in Belize

Posted: Updated:

BELIZE CITY (AP) — A construction company has essentially destroyed one of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids with backhoes and bulldozers to extract rock for a road-building project.

The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology says the destruction was detected late last week.

Only a small portion of center of the pyramid mound was left standing.

Dr. Jaime Awe says he was sickened by the destruction of the Nohmul pyramid and temple platform, which date back about 2,300 years.

Photos of the portion that remained showed what appeared to be classic Mayan-arched chamber dangling above one clawed-out section.

The Nohmul complex sits on private land, but Belizean law states any pre-Hispanic ruins is under government protection.

 

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Spy device live-Tweets private conversations

    Spy device live-Tweets private conversations

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:17 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:17:59 GMT
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically live-Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
    A tiny new spy device aims to automatically live-Tweet overheard conversations. It's called Conversnitch.  Brian House and Kyle McDonald are behind the eavesdropping device.  They say it bridges the gap between (presumed) private physical space and public space online.
  • Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Toddler falls from 3-story window, not hurt

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:42:24 GMT
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
    New York City police say a 2-year-old boy fell out of a third-story window overnight but was not hurt.
  • De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    De Blasio's carriage horse ban stalls

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 10:20 AM EDT2014-04-23 14:20:13 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio is pulling back the reins on his plans to quickly get rid of New York City's horse-drawn carriage industry, stung by a recent outpouring of support for the colorful coaches that have clip-clopped their way through Central Park for more than 150 years. A campaign pledge to take on the horses during his first week as mayor was eclipsed by other issues.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices