Tunisian man accused of wanting to build terror cell - New York News

Tunisian man accused of wanting to build terror cell

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A Tunisian man who authorities say had close ties with the Canada train bomb plot suspect was in federal court in New York City on visa fraud charges. Federal prosecutors say he tried to stay here to organize a terror cell.

The plot was shocking when it was revealed by Canadian law enforcement officials last month an Al Qaeda backed terror attack on an Amtrak train going from New York to Toronto.

Canadian authorities arrested two men. Now the U.S. attorney says a the Tunisian man, Ahmed Abbassi, helped radicalize one of the Canadian suspects while he was in New York and was trying to recruit more men to a terror cell for other plots Abassi allegedly falsified a work visa to stay here.

"As alleged, Ahmed Abassi had an evil purpose for seeking to remain in the United States -- to commit acts of terror and develop a network of terrorists here and to use this country as a base to support the efforts of terrorists internationally," U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a release.

Prosecutors say Abassi was in contact with an undercover FBI agent while he was in New York, and that there are recordings made of him talking about engaging in terrorist acts in the United States.

"The allegations in this case serve as still another reminder that terrorism has not abated, that we must remain vigilant, and that when we do, terrorist plots against us can be thwarted," NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Abassi denied the immigration fraud charges during a secret arraignment a week ago, telling the judge, "Your Honor, I am not guilty," the Associated Press reported. 

Abassi's lawyer said that her client "flatly denies the accusations in the indictment."

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Court extends NYPD officer's weapons case in India

    Thursday, April 17 2014 6:57 AM EDT2014-04-17 10:57:01 GMT
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
    An Indian court says it won't rule before July 1 on the case of a New York City police officer arrested in New Delhi on a weapons charge. The New York Police Department says Manny Encarnacion was arrested in March after Indian authorities discovered three bullets he had accidentally packed in his luggage. He is out on bail but has been barred from leaving India until the case is resolved.
  • Baby found in teen's shopping bag called homicide

    Baby found in teen's shopping bag called homicide

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 11:07 PM EDT2014-04-17 03:07:27 GMT
    The New York City medical examiner has ruled that the death of a baby found in a teenager's shopping bag was a homicide.
    The New York City medical examiner has ruled that the death of a baby found in a teenager's shopping bag was a homicide.
  • Chelsea Clinton: I might run for office

    Chelsea Clinton: I might run for office

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 8:36 PM EDT2014-04-17 00:36:50 GMT
    Chelsea Clinton says she might run for office someday - if she becomes dissatisfied with the job her elected representatives are doing.
    Chelsea Clinton says she might run for office someday - if she becomes dissatisfied with the job her elected representatives are doing.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.
  • Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.
  • Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Fund raises thousands for exonerated NYC man

    Thursday, April 17 2014 8:20 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:20:44 GMT
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
    A recently exonerated New York man who spent nearly 25 years behind bars for a killing that happened while he was at Disney World is getting help from dozens of well-wishers contributing to an online fund for him. About 70 people gave a total of more than $3,400 to the campaign for Jonathan Fleming by Wednesday. Fleming was released last week after a judge dismissed the 1989 case, with Brooklyn prosecutors' assent.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices