Convicted Ponzi schemer Michael Winans, Jr. seeking donations - New York News

Michael Winans, Jr. still wants your money; Convicted Ponzi schemer seeking donations

Rob Wolchek asks Michael Winans, Junior for comment outside of court. Rob Wolchek asks Michael Winans, Junior for comment outside of court.
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) -

Convicted Ponzi schemer Michael Winans, Junior, who I watched admit to stealing $8 million in front of a judge, now says in a video that "there are numerous stories out there that claim I stole millions of dollars from innocent people.  That is not true."

To prove it's not true, Winans wants, what else, your money.  He is now taking donations so he can pay for new lawyers to get him out of his 13 year prison sentence.

In 2008, I investigated Winans while he was running an investment deal.  He was taking money from people to invest in a Saudi oil bond.

Winans is a famous singer and a member of the famous Winans gospel family.  He claimed he was going to teach people he met at his studio or at churches how to invest like rich people, like him.

I put Winans in the Hall of Shame.  The feds charged him with wire fraud, and late last year I watched as Winans pled guilty, admitting he knew the Saudi oil bond was fake and that he knew the people he was taking money from wouldn't get their money back.  I heard him say it to the judge.

In February he was sentenced.  Now, according to his press release, Winans is speaking out for the first time.

"Much of the money that was collected by others that was supposedly going to me never even came to me.  I didn't even get the money," he says in that video.

Really, Mike?  The following are quotes from some of the stories I've done on you over the years.

"I gave my money to Michael Winans."

"I talked to Mike Winans personally."

"He said, in fact, it was his bond that we were investing in."

"And, if that's not enough, to make matters worse, my attorney failed to do his job for me," Winans also says in the recording.

I guess his attorney made him plead guilty.

Winans also claims he has never gotten his chance to tell his side of the story until now.  Well, what about in 2008 when the scheme was still running?

"Can I ask you some questions about this investment thing you've got going on?" I said to Winans back then.

"No comment," he answered.

What about after court when he pled guilty?

"Got anything to say to your victims?" I asked.

"No comment," he said.

Poor Mike Winans.

"I'm asking you for the benefit of the doubt and also your prayers," Winans says in the video.

But even more than your prayers, remember Mike Winans wants your money.

Winans is taking donations for his legal defense fund on his website via PayPal.

I've spoken to a lot of people who say this guy made them look like fools, ruined their relationships and took their family savings.  You talk about praying, Mike?  Those people have been praying you pay them back and get punished for what you've done.

Hope's Land of Candy

Monday, September 1 2014 8:13 PM EDT2014-09-02 00:13:34 GMT
    Step through the doors of Hope's Land of Candy in Island Park, Long Island and you''ll be taking a trip back in time. There's no WIFI but they do have a Victrola piano. And then there's the candy.. lots and lots of it.

Subway bedbug infestations on the rise

Monday, September 1 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:48:09 GMT
    It appears the subway bedbug problem we've been reporting is getting worse. Commuters already have to contend with sweltering platforms, scurrying rats and packed train cars, and now there's another transit woe: fear of bedbugs.

West Indian Day Parade steps off amid shootings

Monday, September 1 2014 6:05 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:05:47 GMT
    The West Indian Day Parade is supposed to be a time of fun and excitement in celebration of Caribbean culture. However, several shootings near the parade has turned it into a day of tragedy for some.

Victims shot and killed on Detroit's west side identified

Monday, September 1 2014 7:42 PM EDT2014-09-01 23:42:19 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of a young man and woman were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.

Two hospitalized after crashing stolen Corvette in police chase

Monday, September 1 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:50:55 GMT
    Two men are sent to the hospital after crashing their corvette in Hamtramck. In addition to their injuries, they may be facing serious charges including grand theft auto.

Severe thunderstorms move into metro Detroit

Monday, September 1 2014 6:38 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:38:09 GMT
    The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for St. Clair and Macomb counties until 7:21 p.m.