Families helped propel ‘Iron Man 3’ to historic haul - New York News

Families helped propel ‘Iron Man 3’ to historic haul

Updated:

By: Jamshid Ghazi Askar, Deseret News

The new film “Iron Man 3” pulled in the second-biggest opening weekend in the history of U.S. theatrical releases - an estimated $175.3 million - and attendance by families played a key role in pushing the box office take to those heights.

Ray Subers reported for the entertainment website Box Office Mojo, “($175.3 million) ranks second all-time behind last year's ‘The Avengers' ($207.4 million), and is way up on the previous ‘Iron Man' outings. … ‘Iron Man 3's' $175.3 million debut is a huge leap over ‘Iron Man 2's' $128.1 million. That's a remarkable achievement given the dodgy history of three-quels - nearly all of them decline from their predecessor - and ‘Iron Man 2's' questionable reputation. The main reason for this is simple: audiences viewed ‘Iron Man 3' more as follow-up to ‘The Avengers,' which is almost universally beloved, than as a sequel to ‘Iron Man 2.' ”

In Monday's New York Times, Brookes Barnes wrote, “more families attended than expected, according to Dave Hollis, Disney's executive vice president for distribution. ‘This confirms our ambition at Disney to focus on movies that are everybody pictures,' Mr. Hollis said on Sunday morning, his voice hoarse after numerous celebratory phone calls.”

During 2013, the Iron Man character marks his 50th anniversary of first appearing in a Marvel comic.

“Iron Man 3” is rated PG-13 for sequences of intense sci-fi action and violence throughout, and brief suggestive content.

Original post

Copyright 2013 Deseret Digital Media, Inc.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Newark school enrollment problems

    Newark school enrollment problems

    Friday, August 22 2014 5:17 PM EDT2014-08-22 21:17:11 GMT
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
    The school year in Newark is getting off to a rocky start. Classes start in less than two weeks and parents are still waiting in line for hours to find out where their kids are enrolled. The problem is being blamed on a glitch in the school's new online open enrollment system. To say mother of three Jennifer Caraballo is frustrated may be an understatement. She is one of hundreds of Newark parents desperately now trying to find a new school for her children.
  • U.S. Open preview

    U.S. Open preview

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:52:40 GMT
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices