Fan shorting out sparked fire at Telway, owner says - New York News

Fan shorting out sparked fire at Detroit's Telway restaurant, owner says

Posted: Updated:
There was a fire Friday evening at the Telway in southwest Detroit. There was a fire Friday evening at the Telway in southwest Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

There was a fire Friday evening at a popular burger joint in southwest Detroit.  Fire crews were called out to the Telway on Michigan Avenue and Martin.

We're told the fire started in the kitchen, and firefighters quickly responded and put the fire out.

The owner, Earl Owens, said the fire started when a fan shorted out.  He plans to re-open soon.

"We'll be open two or three or four days," he said.

The restaurant has been a part of the neighborhood since 1944 and is known for its coffee and, of course, the legendary Telway Burger.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices