LA City Council: Ban Large-Capacity Ammunition - New York News

LA City Council: Ban Large-Capacity Ammunition

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

(CNS) The Los Angeles City Council voted today to ban the possession of large-capacity ammunition magazines within the city, despite threats from gun rights groups that they would sue.

Councilman Mitchell Englander said before the 11-0 vote that the action will not take guns away from their owners. "This is taking away high-capacity magazines," he said.

The sale and transfer of high-capacity clips is a crime in California, but people can still legally own them. The proposed ordinance -- which must still be approved by the mayor -- would declare the clips a public nuisance and allow police in Los Angeles to confiscate them.

"It's an issue of an antiquated loophole in which you can possess it, but you can't manufacture it, you can't sell it, you can't distribute them, but you can own them," Englander said. "It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

"What it boils down to is the intent of high-capacity magazines and the destruction they can cause and do cause," he said.

"We aren't doing anything extreme," said Councilman Dennis Zine.

Councilman Paul Krekorian first proposed the ban in February, in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., elementary school shooting massacre. A gunman wielding a high-capacity assault weapon killed 26 people, most of them children, last December.

Zine, a former police officer, last week called the proposed law "reasonable."

"Ten rounds is enough to protect your business and family," he said. "You don't need to have 30 rounds, or 40 rounds."

Gun rights lawyers sent a letter to the City Council this week saying they would sue if such a law were approved.

"If the city passes the firearm magazine ban, we absolutely intend to sue the city for numerous violations of civil rights and law," CalGuns Foundation Executive Brandon Combs told City News Service.

He also contends the City Council has no authority to ban magazines and may be pre-empted by state law from doing so.

Also today, the council voted 11-0 in favor of digitizing records of firearm sales and transfers, which would eliminate the need for police employees to travel to gun stores and shooting ranges to pick up hard-copy documents.
 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:15:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices