Callaway Gardens cancels gun group's convention - New York News

Callaway Gardens cancels gun group's convention

Posted: Updated:
PINE MOUNTAIN, Ga. -

The debate over guns has spilled over to an unlikely place: Callaway Gardens.

More than 700,000 people head to Callaway Gardens every year to get away from it all. But now, the resort has found itself in the middle of controversy after canceling the convention of one of Georgia's most influential gun groups.

Georgia Carry scheduled its annual convention at Callaway Gardens, which is known for having something for everyone in the family to enjoy.

However, earlier this week, Callaway Gardens told the group that they can't hold their event there if their members plan on bringing weapons with them.

Jerry Henry says he was wearing his gun when he first met with Callaway Gardens about the event back in January.

"We discussed it with them. We told them at that point in time that we would be carrying guns.  There'd would be 300 or 400 people there carrying firearms. We wanted to make sure it'd be OK. We were told it'd be fine," Henry said.

He said that the sudden cancellation took him by surprise.

"It is private property and we understand that and don't have a problem with that. The only thing is, we think if that's their policy now, it should have been their policy then. They should have told us their policy back in January or February," Henry said.

Callaway Gardens issued a statement to FOX 5 explaining the mistake and apologizing saying, "Unfortunately, two team members did not properly convey our weapons policy, which like many other family-friendly destinations, does not permit weapons on the premises."

"We got people ready to spend money and nobody wants to take it. You'd think in this day and age somebody'd want to take that money," Henry said.

Georgia Carry said that they still plan on holding their convention somewhere that will allow their weapons.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:04 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:04:25 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.
  • Bratton: 'not happy'

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    NYPD identify suspects in raising of white flags at Brooklyn Bridge

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:48 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:48:41 GMT
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
    The NYPD says they have identified the suspects for the major security breach that had white flags replace the American flags at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City, according to the New York Post. Police say they only know the suspects by nicknames, not their legitimate names. They are working on getting their names in order to bring the suspects in for questioning. The Post says nearly three dozen detectives were on the case. 
  • FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    FAA ends ban on U.S. flights to Tel Aviv

    Thursday, July 24 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:21:05 GMT
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier. The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
    The Federal Aviation Administration has lifted its ban on U.S. carriers from flying to Tel Aviv. The announcement was made late Wednesday night.The FAA had extended the ban on Thursday afternoon after its first ban went into effect 24 hours earlier.  The decision was made after a rocket launched into Israel from Gaza landed near the Ben Gurion Airport.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices