Warren Mayor Fouts addresses controversial call with appointee - New York News

Warren Mayor Jim Fouts addresses controversial call with appointee

Posted: Updated:
Warren Mayor Jim Fouts spoke with Fox 2 about a controversial phone call with his appointee. Warren Mayor Jim Fouts spoke with Fox 2 about a controversial phone call with his appointee.
WARREN, Mich. (WJBK) -

An appointee of Warren Mayor Jim Fouts recorded without the mayor's knowledge and then apparently used against him a very heated, profanity-laced phone conversation between the two.  It was made public and turned over to Michigan State Police.

One week later, Fouts choose the National Day of Prayer event in front of City Hall to address the alleged phone threats.

"I gave in to anger," the mayor said.  "I apologize to the people of Warren... for the choice of my words.  I am truly ashamed and embarrassed about it."

"Why did you choose the National Day of Prayer to address these threat allegations?" I asked Fouts.

"I'm not sure this was particularly choosing, but I felt very strongly on prayer and in light of the suggestion that I commit suicide, I thought it was appropriate," he responded.

Fouts claims a local newspaper covering his public disgrace insinuated he should take his own life, something he found very offensive.

"To me, a viable alternative for anyone is prayer, not suicide," Fouts told the crowd to cheers.

We're told Michigan State Police have just wrapped up their case, which has been handed over to the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office.

Meanwhile, Fouts blames his anger on the recent negative attacks on him and his city.

"Has this world got to the point where I can't trust the person who I gave an appointment to without taping me when I'm angry and goading me on," Fouts said.

"Did you mean what you said?" I asked.

"Absolutely not.  I didn't.  I was just venting.  I was angry at the point.  I was making a point, albeit a poor point, and I did not mean at all what I said, nor would I ever do anything like that," the mayor replied.

------

UPDATE:

On May 3, we learned the decision of the Macomb County Prosecutor's Office.  Mayor Fouts will not face any charges.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
  • Garner's family meets U.S. attorney

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:34:05 GMT
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices