No human remains at 9/11 wing site - New York News

No human remains at 9/11 wing site

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

The New York City Medical Examiner's Office says sifting through debris at the site where a piece of a jet wing was discovered last week is now complete.

No potential human remains were found outside 51 Park Place in lower Manhattan.

The wing part is believed to belong to one of the planes that crashed into the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001.

The part, a trailing edge flap actuation support structure, was found Wednesday wedged between two buildings, one of them a mosque site.

The NYPD removed the plane part using a pulley system to raise the jagged, 255- pound metal piece. It was loaded onto a truck headed to a Brooklyn police facility.

The debris stuck between the back of 51 Park Place and the rear of 50 Murray Street was considered a crime scene after the part's discovery.

Surveyors hired by the property owners of 51 Park Place, where an Islamic cultural center is planned, found the debris when they were checking out the back of the building.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • Sept. 11More>>

  • Sept 11 museum takes action on gift shop criticism

    Sept 11 museum takes action on gift shop criticism

    Thursday, May 29 2014 6:37 AM EDT2014-05-29 10:37:25 GMT
    Responding to criticism, National September 11 Memorial Museum officials say victims' families will be consulted regarding merchandise on sale in its gift shop. Memorial Foundation President Joe Daniels says the museum will enlist the help of 9/11 family members who sit on the foundation's board in vetting the products.
    Responding to criticism, National September 11 Memorial Museum officials say victims' families will be consulted regarding merchandise on sale in its gift shop. Memorial Foundation President Joe Daniels says the museum will enlist the help of 9/11 family members who sit on the foundation's board in vetting the products.
  • Memorial remains free

    Sept. 11 Museum president defends $24 admission fee

    Sept. 11 Museum president defends $24 admission fee

    The president of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum is defending the decision to charge a $24 adult admission fee when the museum finally opens in May 2014 after some 9/11 families criticized the price tag.
    The president of the National September 11 Memorial and Museum is defending the decision to charge a $24 adult admission fee when the museum finally opens in May 2014 after some 9/11 families criticized the price tag. Joe Daniels pointed out that the 9/11 Memorial complex receives no federal, state, or local funding to defray its projected $63 million annual operating cost and that the memorial plaza, which is already open, will continue to remain free.
  • NYPD remembers 23 killed on 9/11

    NYPD remembers 23 killed on 9/11

    Wednesday, September 11 2013 11:24 AM EDT2013-09-11 15:24:00 GMT
    The New York Police Department is remembering 23 members killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11, 2001.
    The New York Police Department is remembering 23 members killed in the line of duty on Sept. 11, 2001.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

    Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

    Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.
  • New MTA bus routes take effect

    New MTA bus routes take effect

    Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs. 
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs. 
  • 3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

    3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

    Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices