Report: Saudia Arabia warned US about Boston bomber - New York News

Report: Saudia Arabia warned US about Boston bomber

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

A letter written to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in 2012 by officials in Saudi Arabia reportedly warned of accused Boston bomber Tamerlan Tsarnaev's ties to extremism.

The "government to government" letter was very specific and warned that "something was going to happen in a major U.S. city." It named Tamerlan, reported the Daily Mail.

The older of the two brothers investigators accuse of killing three people and injuring more than 200 in a series of bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 15, was denied a visa to enter Saudi Arabia, reports the British paper.

Tsarnaev hoped to make a pilgrimage to Mecca.

Earlier reports indicate Russian agents placed the older suspect under surveillance during a six-month visit to southern Russia last year, then scrambled to find him when he suddenly disappeared after police killed a Canadian jihadist, a security official told the AP.

The security official with the Anti-Extremism Center, a federal agency under Russia's Interior Ministry, confirmed the Russians shared their concerns. He said that Russian agents were watching Tsarnaev, and that they searched for him when he disappeared two days after the July 2012 death of the Canadian man, who had joined the Islamic insurgency in the region. The official spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.

Security officials suspected ties between Tsarnaev and the Canadian -- an ethnic Russian named William Plotnikov -- according to the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, which is known for its independence and investigative reporting and cited an unnamed official with the Anti-Extremism Center, which tracks militants. The newspaper said the men had social networking ties that brought Tsarnaev to the attention of Russian security services for the first time in late 2010.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Six Flags Great Adventure plans new roller coaster

    Six Flags Great Adventure plans new roller coaster

    Thursday, August 28 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-08-28 11:28:03 GMT
    New Jersey's Six Flags Great Adventure plans to build a new roller coaster for 2015.  The theme park announced on Thursday Looping Dragon will join the park's other thrill rides. The park says 24 riders sitting in face-off seats will pitch forward and backward pendulum-style until the ride completes a full revolution seven stories in the air. Riders will be suspended upside down and then the ride will reverse direction.
    New Jersey's Six Flags Great Adventure plans to build a new roller coaster for 2015.  The theme park announced on Thursday Looping Dragon will join the park's other thrill rides. The park says 24 riders sitting in face-off seats will pitch forward and backward pendulum-style until the ride completes a full revolution seven stories in the air. Riders will be suspended upside down and then the ride will reverse direction.

  • Rocket from Wallops Island seen in NJ

    Rocket from Wallops Island seen in NJ

    Thursday, August 28 2014 7:17 AM EDT2014-08-28 11:17:55 GMT
    NASA is reviewing data from a rocket launch that tested a new sub-payload deployment method for suborbital rockets. NASA says a Black Brant IX suborbital rocket was launched at 5 a.m. Thursday from the agency's Wallops Island Flight Facility on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The new deployment method uses small rocket motors to eject sub-payloads from a rocket's main payload. Thursday's test included releasing vapor traces in space.
    NASA is reviewing data from a rocket launch that tested a new sub-payload deployment method for suborbital rockets. NASA says a Black Brant IX suborbital rocket was launched at 5 a.m. Thursday from the agency's Wallops Island Flight Facility on Virginia's Eastern Shore. The new deployment method uses small rocket motors to eject sub-payloads from a rocket's main payload. Thursday's test included releasing vapor traces in space.
  • Hurricane Cristobal to move toward north Atlantic

    Hurricane Cristobal to move toward north Atlantic

    Thursday, August 28 2014 7:11 AM EDT2014-08-28 11:11:47 GMT
    Hurricane Cristobal is expected to move rapidly toward the north Atlantic, staying away from Bermuda and passing south of Nova Scotia. The hurricane's maximum sustained winds early Thursday are near 75 mph (120 kph) with no significant change in strength forecast over the next two days. The U.S. National Hurricane Center says Cristobal is centered about 285 miles (460 kilometers) northwest of Bermuda and is moving northeast near 29 mph (46 kph).
    Hurricane Cristobal is expected to move rapidly toward the north Atlantic, staying away from Bermuda and passing south of Nova Scotia. The hurricane's maximum sustained winds early Thursday are near 75 mph (120 kph) with no significant change in strength forecast over the next two days. The U.S. National Hurricane Center says Cristobal is centered about 285 miles (460 kilometers) northwest of Bermuda and is moving northeast near 29 mph (46 kph).
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices