Obama: review of Boston attack information sharing - New York News

Obama calls for review of Boston attack information sharing

Posted: Updated:

By KIMBERLY DOZIER

AP Intelligence Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama said Tuesday that no stone will be left unturned in reviewing whether any sensitive intelligence was missed that could have stopped the deadly attacks on the Boston Marathon.

Obama called it "standard procedure," but said the review, which will last only 90 days, would help determine if all the information was shared properly.

"Based on what I've seen so far, the FBI performed its duties, the Department of Homeland Security did what it was supposed to be doing," Obama told a White House news conference, describing how the FBI interviewed Tamerlan Tsarnaev, a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings who died in an escape attempt.

But he said it would help determine whether "there were additional things that could have been done."

Shawn Turner, a spokesman for the Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, says the review is limited to how information about the suspects was handled before the attack because the investigation of the bombing is still ongoing. He added that Clapper believes his agencies shared information appropriately.

The review will be conducted by I. Charles McCullough III, the independent intelligence community inspector general, which is a position that is Senate-confirmed and is authorized to reach into any U.S. intelligence agency to conduct reviews.

Lawmakers have suggested that an intelligence breakdown may have contributed to the attacks.

"Just because the FBI didn't find derogatory information about the suspects doesn't mean it wasn't there to be found," said Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Calif., a member of the House intelligence committee. "But nor should we leap to a conclusion of malfeasance. Instead this review may produce one important component of the `lessons learned' from the attacks," he added Tuesday.

The review was first reported by The Boston Globe.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
  • Garner's family meets U.S. attorney

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Staten Island stores worried about rally

    Friday, August 22 2014 6:34 AM EDT2014-08-22 10:34:05 GMT
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
    Some Staten Island business owners say they are bracing for huge crowds on Saturday during a planned march for a man killed in an apparent chokehold during his arrest by NYPD officers. The Rev. Al Sharpton said he is estimating about 3,000 to 5,000 people to rally.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices