Witnesses shoot video instead of helping end brawl between women - New York News

Woman claims Detroit EMS workers watched her get beaten instead of helping her

Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit. Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

A woman involved in a fight on the streets of Detroit claimed fire and EMS workers on the scene didn't come to her aid during or afterwards.

"I really didn't even like want to fight.  Like I tried to avoid that.  So to have a fight on the Internet, then to be naked like my bottom, my private area for everybody to see, like that is the most embarrassing thing ever," said Mercedes.  "I never wish that on anybody."

But it seems to be the norm nowadays -- people taking the opportunity to capture you at your worst possible moments and posting it, trying to make a mockery of you on social media.

"Everybody's seen it," Mercedes said.  "It's all over the Internet."

"For that to happen to me, that's the worst."

"It's a joke for everybody to laugh because it's 'fat girls fighting for a Coney dog.'  That's the caption of the video."

"I was mad at everybody out there.  I was really mad at the city because I'm thinking to myself like why no one is helping me."

Women, even men, they just watched, laughed, encouraged the chaos and recorded away.

"They just watched.  It was a show to be seen," Mercedes said.

"She's on me, but I cannot get her off of me, so I'm just trying to hit as much as I can to get her off of me."

"Three people on top of me.  I just laid down because I started blanking out."

"I was laying there, and she was hitting me with that heel, and then something told me like get back up.  I got back up and like tried to hit her a couple times, and then I just couldn't catch my breathe, and I just walked away like a zombie and passed out on the nasty Coney Island bathroom floor."

The employees of Legends Coney Island on West Davison did come to her rescue.  Mercedes had been badly beaten.  She was punched, her head slammed to the ground, and she had been bitten, too.

"She comes charging at me, I have no other choice but to fight.  So we're fighting.  She bit me in my face, bit me on my breast.  Like she's just biting everywhere," Mercedes explained.

Mercedes said those wounds will eventually heal, but this one may scar her for life.

"The ambulance and the fire trucks were right there in the midst of the fight," Mercedes said.  "Not one time did anyone jump out of the car.  My whole thing is you don't even have to break it up.  If you're not going to break it up, why didn't you come to anyone's aid?  That's the thing.  Like why?  What are you there for?"

"They were out there blowing their horns."

"We're women.  No one had any guns.  No one had any knives.  Clearly you could see there were no weapons but a heel.  You've got these big guys working for the city putting out fires and saving people['s] lives."

"What if I would've died?"

All this happed early Saturday morning. Mercedes's told us grabbing a bite to eat at the Coney Island turned into one of her worse days ever.

"When I walked in, they were all in there and  they were laughing and saying stuff about me," Mercedes said.

"I was trying to really ignore them."

But Mercedes believes she was their target for whatever reason, and they were not backing down.

Despite that, she is disappointed that even after everything was finally over, the first responders, "No one even came to my aid after the fact.  When they were there from the whole beginning, no one even came to my aid after the fact.  If like something again happens like that, I just hope that next time the city will actually help."

This is Mercedes' side of the story.  She told us she does not know these women.

Now some people are going to say they are not the police and they shouldn't respond.  Mercedes understands that, but she did really want their help when everything was over.

We're told when Detroit Police arrived on the scene after receiving a 911 call, it was clear.  A police spokesperson said there is no record of fire or EMS being dispatched there at all.

We also spoke with Fire Commissioner Don Austin and made him aware of the video.  He did not know about the video.  He said he will go through it frame by frame, do some investigating and give us a statement on Tuesday.

Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:18:12 GMT
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.

Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:05 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:05:17 GMT
    Police in southern New Jersey are on the hunt for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.

Poll: It doesn't take money to be stylish

Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:53 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:53:49 GMT
    A new Marist College poll finds most Americans say it doesn't take a lot of money to be stylish. The nationwide poll by the Hudson Valley college found 86 percent of respondents said it was possible to be stylish on a limited budget. The other 14 percent agreed with the statement that it's only possible to have good style with a lot of money. The poll also found that 68 percent of Americans think we focus too much on fashion.

Pensioners approve Detroit bankruptcy plan

Monday, July 21 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:39:04 GMT
    The city of Detroit says workers and retirees have approved pension cuts, a crucial step to emerging from the largest municipal bankruptcy in U.S. history. The city reported results Monday after two months of balloting ended July 11. A judge still must hold a trial to determine if Detroit's overall bankruptcy plan is fair and feasible, but support from retirees is vital.

DPD's 6th precinct struck by bullets in drive-by shooting

Monday, July 21 2014 11:06 PM EDT2014-07-22 03:06:31 GMT
    Detroit police say bullets struck the 6th Precinct building during a drive-by shooting. This was the same precinct where four officers were shot back in 2011.

City turns down Vinsetta Garage's new parking proposal

Monday, July 21 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:31:49 GMT
    Vinsetta Garage, a popular restaurant in Berkley, proposed to tear down several homes and build a parking lot to solve the parking issue in the neighborhood, but the proposal was turned down Monday at city hall.