Witnesses shoot video instead of helping end brawl between women - New York News

Woman claims Detroit EMS workers watched her get beaten instead of helping her

Posted: Updated:
Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit. Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

A woman involved in a fight on the streets of Detroit claimed fire and EMS workers on the scene didn't come to her aid during or afterwards.

"I really didn't even like want to fight.  Like I tried to avoid that.  So to have a fight on the Internet, then to be naked like my bottom, my private area for everybody to see, like that is the most embarrassing thing ever," said Mercedes.  "I never wish that on anybody."

But it seems to be the norm nowadays -- people taking the opportunity to capture you at your worst possible moments and posting it, trying to make a mockery of you on social media.

"Everybody's seen it," Mercedes said.  "It's all over the Internet."

"For that to happen to me, that's the worst."

"It's a joke for everybody to laugh because it's 'fat girls fighting for a Coney dog.'  That's the caption of the video."

"I was mad at everybody out there.  I was really mad at the city because I'm thinking to myself like why no one is helping me."

Women, even men, they just watched, laughed, encouraged the chaos and recorded away.

"They just watched.  It was a show to be seen," Mercedes said.

"She's on me, but I cannot get her off of me, so I'm just trying to hit as much as I can to get her off of me."

"Three people on top of me.  I just laid down because I started blanking out."

"I was laying there, and she was hitting me with that heel, and then something told me like get back up.  I got back up and like tried to hit her a couple times, and then I just couldn't catch my breathe, and I just walked away like a zombie and passed out on the nasty Coney Island bathroom floor."

The employees of Legends Coney Island on West Davison did come to her rescue.  Mercedes had been badly beaten.  She was punched, her head slammed to the ground, and she had been bitten, too.

"She comes charging at me, I have no other choice but to fight.  So we're fighting.  She bit me in my face, bit me on my breast.  Like she's just biting everywhere," Mercedes explained.

Mercedes said those wounds will eventually heal, but this one may scar her for life.

"The ambulance and the fire trucks were right there in the midst of the fight," Mercedes said.  "Not one time did anyone jump out of the car.  My whole thing is you don't even have to break it up.  If you're not going to break it up, why didn't you come to anyone's aid?  That's the thing.  Like why?  What are you there for?"

"They were out there blowing their horns."

"We're women.  No one had any guns.  No one had any knives.  Clearly you could see there were no weapons but a heel.  You've got these big guys working for the city putting out fires and saving people['s] lives."

"What if I would've died?"

All this happed early Saturday morning. Mercedes's told us grabbing a bite to eat at the Coney Island turned into one of her worse days ever.

"When I walked in, they were all in there and  they were laughing and saying stuff about me," Mercedes said.

"I was trying to really ignore them."

But Mercedes believes she was their target for whatever reason, and they were not backing down.

Despite that, she is disappointed that even after everything was finally over, the first responders, "No one even came to my aid after the fact.  When they were there from the whole beginning, no one even came to my aid after the fact.  If like something again happens like that, I just hope that next time the city will actually help."

This is Mercedes' side of the story.  She told us she does not know these women.

Now some people are going to say they are not the police and they shouldn't respond.  Mercedes understands that, but she did really want their help when everything was over.

We're told when Detroit Police arrived on the scene after receiving a 911 call, it was clear.  A police spokesperson said there is no record of fire or EMS being dispatched there at all.

We also spoke with Fire Commissioner Don Austin and made him aware of the video.  He did not know about the video.  He said he will go through it frame by frame, do some investigating and give us a statement on Tuesday.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Massive brawl at NJ wedding

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:24 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:24:34 GMT
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
    As many as 300 people became involved in a massive brawl at a New Jersey wedding hall that ended with two arrests on Sunday night.  Middletown police say that the fight broke out at about 10:30 p.m. at the Jacques Reception Hall on Palmer Ave. in Middletown.
  • 2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot

    2 U.S. marshals, 1 NYPD detective shot

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:23 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:23:41 GMT
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in lower Manhattan, officials said. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
    Two deputy U.S. marshals, an NYPD detective, and a sexual assault suspect have been shot in a shootout in lower Manhattan, officials said. Speaking at a news conference, Mayor Bill de Blasio said the marshals and cop were taken to a local hospital with apparently non-life threatening injuries.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Parents of child held in basement appearing in court

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:30 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:30:40 GMT
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
    DETROIT -- The father and stepmother of a 12-year-old Detroit boy who was found in his basement after an 11-day disappearance are due back in court.
  • Porch shooter Renisha McBride back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Porch shooter Renisha McBride back in court for 3rd day of trial

    Monday, July 28 2014 2:29 PM EDT2014-07-28 18:29:42 GMT
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
    The trial of a Detroit-area man who killed a young unarmed woman on his porch is entering its first full week of testimony.
  • Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Power outage numbers across southeast Michigan

    Monday, July 28 2014 10:01 AM EDT2014-07-28 14:01:04 GMT
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
    As of 6 a.m., approximately 165,000 DTE Energy customers are out of electric service due to the high winds and lightning that hit southeast Michigan Sunday afternoon. DTE has restored power to 21,000 customers that were affected by the storm, which included wind gusts of up to 70 m.p.h. in the DTE service area.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices