Witnesses shoot video instead of helping end brawl between women - New York News

Woman claims Detroit EMS workers watched her get beaten instead of helping her

Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit. Mercedes said first responders didn't come to her aid during or after a fight in Detroit.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

A woman involved in a fight on the streets of Detroit claimed fire and EMS workers on the scene didn't come to her aid during or afterwards.

"I really didn't even like want to fight.  Like I tried to avoid that.  So to have a fight on the Internet, then to be naked like my bottom, my private area for everybody to see, like that is the most embarrassing thing ever," said Mercedes.  "I never wish that on anybody."

But it seems to be the norm nowadays -- people taking the opportunity to capture you at your worst possible moments and posting it, trying to make a mockery of you on social media.

"Everybody's seen it," Mercedes said.  "It's all over the Internet."

"For that to happen to me, that's the worst."

"It's a joke for everybody to laugh because it's 'fat girls fighting for a Coney dog.'  That's the caption of the video."

"I was mad at everybody out there.  I was really mad at the city because I'm thinking to myself like why no one is helping me."

Women, even men, they just watched, laughed, encouraged the chaos and recorded away.

"They just watched.  It was a show to be seen," Mercedes said.

"She's on me, but I cannot get her off of me, so I'm just trying to hit as much as I can to get her off of me."

"Three people on top of me.  I just laid down because I started blanking out."

"I was laying there, and she was hitting me with that heel, and then something told me like get back up.  I got back up and like tried to hit her a couple times, and then I just couldn't catch my breathe, and I just walked away like a zombie and passed out on the nasty Coney Island bathroom floor."

The employees of Legends Coney Island on West Davison did come to her rescue.  Mercedes had been badly beaten.  She was punched, her head slammed to the ground, and she had been bitten, too.

"She comes charging at me, I have no other choice but to fight.  So we're fighting.  She bit me in my face, bit me on my breast.  Like she's just biting everywhere," Mercedes explained.

Mercedes said those wounds will eventually heal, but this one may scar her for life.

"The ambulance and the fire trucks were right there in the midst of the fight," Mercedes said.  "Not one time did anyone jump out of the car.  My whole thing is you don't even have to break it up.  If you're not going to break it up, why didn't you come to anyone's aid?  That's the thing.  Like why?  What are you there for?"

"They were out there blowing their horns."

"We're women.  No one had any guns.  No one had any knives.  Clearly you could see there were no weapons but a heel.  You've got these big guys working for the city putting out fires and saving people['s] lives."

"What if I would've died?"

All this happed early Saturday morning. Mercedes's told us grabbing a bite to eat at the Coney Island turned into one of her worse days ever.

"When I walked in, they were all in there and  they were laughing and saying stuff about me," Mercedes said.

"I was trying to really ignore them."

But Mercedes believes she was their target for whatever reason, and they were not backing down.

Despite that, she is disappointed that even after everything was finally over, the first responders, "No one even came to my aid after the fact.  When they were there from the whole beginning, no one even came to my aid after the fact.  If like something again happens like that, I just hope that next time the city will actually help."

This is Mercedes' side of the story.  She told us she does not know these women.

Now some people are going to say they are not the police and they shouldn't respond.  Mercedes understands that, but she did really want their help when everything was over.

We're told when Detroit Police arrived on the scene after receiving a 911 call, it was clear.  A police spokesperson said there is no record of fire or EMS being dispatched there at all.

We also spoke with Fire Commissioner Don Austin and made him aware of the video.  He did not know about the video.  He said he will go through it frame by frame, do some investigating and give us a statement on Tuesday.

Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli

Thursday, April 17 2014 9:27 AM EDT2014-04-17 13:27:28 GMT
    New Jersey NewsNew Jersey News
    Employees at a southern New Jersey deli say they feared for their lives when a man walked in and brandished a samurai sword. It happened at American Deli in Lower Township.

Rifle seized after squirrel shooting in Milford

Thursday, April 17 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:48:12 GMT
    Connecticut State NewsConnecticut State News
    Police say they found an unregistered assault rifle and three large-capacity magazines in the home of a Milford man accused of shooting a squirrel.  James Toigo has been charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm, cruelty to an animal, reckless endangerment, breach of peace, failure to register an assault rifle and possessing large-capacity magazines.

Harlem politician Basil Paterson dead

Thursday, April 17 2014 8:41 AM EDT2014-04-17 12:41:03 GMT
    Basil Paterson, the father of former New York Governor David Paterson, died Wednesday night at the age of 87. The trailblazing Democratic politician from Harlem served in the state Senate, as deputy mayor of New York City, as secretary of state of New York and was appointed by the New York Senate as a commissioner of the Port Authority of NY and NJ. In 1970, he ran for lieutenant governor, the second black nominee of a major party for statewide office in New York.

Snyder turns in signatures for re-election bid

Thursday, April 17 2014 12:22 PM EDT2014-04-17 16:22:22 GMT
    Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder has made his re-election bid official by turning in more than 26,000 signatures from all 83 counties to election officials.

Jimmy Buffett returns to Comerica Park on July 26

Thursday, April 17 2014 11:23 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:23:48 GMT
    Jimmy Buffett will take the stage once again this summer at Detroit's Comerica Park. Olympia Entertainment announced Thursday that Buffett and his Coral Reefer Band will play one night only on Saturday, July 26 with special guest John Fogerty.

Body found in Lake Erie, crews look for 3 missing

Thursday, April 17 2014 11:15 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:15:54 GMT
    The U.S. Coast Guard says the body of a missing boater has been found in Lake Erie and they're continuing to search for three others off the Ohio shoreline.