Shooting leaves Lincoln Park father without his sight - New York News

Shooting leaves Lincoln Park father without his sight

Sean Kelley lost his sight after being shot outside a Detroit nightclub in January. Sean Kelley lost his sight after being shot outside a Detroit nightclub in January.
LINCOLN PARK, Mich. (WJBK) -

A hardworking family is facing homelessness.  Their lives were changed by gun violence after the man of the house was shot in the head leaving him blind just a week after the birth of his son.

"I could see this evil face.  He squinted his eyes up, and he had this gapped tooth in his mouth, and he just shot the gun," said Sean Kelley.

Living in metro Detroit, you hear a lot about gun violence, but not much about the shattered lives gun violence leaves behind or the families left to pick up the pieces.

"I felt something rattling in my mouth.  It was the bullet in my mouth," Sean said.  "That was the last time I saw something."

Sean is completely blind.  He was shot January 12 leaving a nightclub in Detroit.  The bullet passed through his right temple destroying everything in its path and life as the Kelleys knew it.

"He took my taste, my smell," Sean said.  "I can't even enjoy my food.  I don't even know what it is."

Sean had to leave his job of 16 years at DTE Energy.  His wife had to quit her job to take care of the family.  The Kelleys have nine children between them, and the bills are pilling up.  Sean and his wife will be evicted from their Lincoln Park home on May 8.  They have nowhere to go and nothing but each other.

"I made a vow and went before God and said I'd be with my husband no matter what, through sickness, through wealth, through poor, and that's what I'm doing.  I'm keeping my word," Laronda Kelley said.

"I wonder why God allowed it to happen that way, but I appreciate... exactly how he orchestrated this," Sean said.

Such as being able to see his son for eight days.  He was born prematurely just a week before the shooting.  Even though he is growing, his father still knows his face, and he hopes to one day see it again, something doctors say could happen.

• Maurielle LueMaurielle LueMore>>

Detroit residents say new LED street lights not bright enough

Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:04 AM EDT2014-08-20 12:04:50 GMT
    Although Detroit residents are grateful for new street lights, they are concerned with the lack of coverage the new bulbs provide.

I-94 at Warren reopens after buckling pavement

Friday, August 15 2014 7:21 AM EDT2014-08-15 11:21:58 GMT
    Big backups greeted commuters on I-94 Thursday when MDOT shut down the highway to work on a section of the road that buckled. As of Friday morning, though, that stretch of road has been reopened.

Flood victims say scavengers add insult to injury

Wednesday, August 13 2014 9:54 PM EDT2014-08-14 01:54:37 GMT
    As the cleanup continues, lots of furniture, clothes, toys and more are piling up along curbs all over metro Detroit.Some people are viewing that trash as treasure and leaving others are worried of where the contaminated items might end up..

Ultimate lemonade stand in Flatiron District

Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:39 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:39:26 GMT
    When 826 NYC, a nonprofit organization that fosters creative writing skills, asked children ages 9-12 to dream up the ultimate lemonade stand, the responses were huge. The winning project of  The Great Lemonation Imagination Collaboration was turned into a real lemonade stand complete with free lemonade in Manhattan's Flatiron District. The organization's members were also required to help run the stand that went up at Broadway and 23rd Street on Wednesday.

Times Square characters: we don't work for free

Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:02 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:02:47 GMT
    Times Square characters want to be taken seriously and want their tips. The mostly immigrant workers are now called the Association of Artists United for a Smile and are fighting to protect their jobs, in light of a recent crackdown. Jorge Duran says he stands around for hours, sweating inside a costume, and says it is annoying and unfair if he poses for a good picture and gets nothing.

Tyga calls for Empire State Building to go gold

Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:42 AM EDT2014-08-20 12:42:31 GMT
    The push to go gold for pediatric cancer has spread to the hip hop world. Popular rapper Tyga is joining those calling for the Empire State Building to light up for a good cause.