Detroit's historic Masonic Temple avoids foreclosure crisis - New York News

Detroit's historic Masonic Temple avoids foreclosure crisis

Posted: Updated:
Detroit's Masonic Temple has over 1,000 rooms. Detroit's Masonic Temple has over 1,000 rooms.
DETROIT (AP) -

It appears Detroit's historic Masonic Temple has been spared from the auction block after management scrambled to begin paying off a looming tax bill.

Roger Sobran, President of the Masonic Temple Association said in a statement on Thursday, "We have entered into an agreement with Wayne County. We paid a large amount to the past due and everything is good."

Sobran said the Temple paid $10,000 toward a tax bill on Thursday and is expected to pay another $36,000 by early June.
 
More than $150,000 in unpaid taxes from 2010 and 2012 left the 14-story building in the hands of the Wayne County treasurer's office. But Sobran and chief deputy county treasurer David Szymanski said a payment plan had been worked out.

Like many homes across southeast Michigan the Masonic Temple was facing foreclosure. But managers of the Temple say it was all a mixup. They've been working out a payment plan to take care of more than $160,000 from 2010 alone. The Treasury Department said if they hadn't stepped up with money the Temple could have gone up for auction.
 
The building is on the National Register of Historic Places, takes up an entire block and has more than 1,000 rooms. It houses the Masonic Theater, a concert site for decades for some of the biggest acts in music, including The Who and the Rolling Stones. Construction on the building began in 1920, and the temple was dedicated in 1926. It has ballrooms, dining rooms, a barber shop and even bowling lanes inside.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
  • 17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    17,000 red light camera tickets dismissed

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:39 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:39:23 GMT
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
    A technical glitch in a red light camera operating system means that some 17,000 motorists in New Jersey will not have to pay a fine for running red lights. Computer problems between May 28 and June 30 resulted in motorists not receiving notices of violations. New Jersey law requires that if a ticket hasn't been served within 90 days, it must be dismissed.
  • Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Brooklyn Bridge flags back on US soil

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-08-22 11:25:55 GMT
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
    Police say the two American flags swiped from the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced with faded white ones are back on U.S. soil. NYPD spokesman Sgt. Carlos Nieves said Friday that the flags are in the United States. He did not know their exact location. Two German artists claimed responsibility earlier this month for the July 22 stunt. 
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices