Woman rescues man and his dog from Clinton River - New York News

Woman rescues man and his dog from Clinton River

Kristy Shanburn rescued a man and his dog from the Clinton River. Kristy Shanburn rescued a man and his dog from the Clinton River.
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) -

Kristy Shanburn and her son were wrapping up one of their regular trips to Dodge Park in Sterling Heights on Tuesday.

Snuffy jumped into the Clinton River after a goose.  The one-year-old Bichon tried her best to paddle back to shore, but she could not get out.

"Struggling, kept going under, the current was taking it really quick," Shanburn said.  "I had to lay on my belly and grab her."

"Then we heard somebody screaming help.  We ran down until we found him, and there was the man in the water."

76-year-old Bob Owens tried to grab Snuffy, but the force of the water was too strong for him to reach her.  He ended up hanging onto a stump.

"I fell in.  I went head over heals, and it was deep.  I went down under water, and by the time I got myself up and I grabbed hold of the stump that was there... [Snuffy's] going down the river," he said.

"I reached out, and I grabbed his arm.  He grabbed me, and we were able to pull him to safety," Shanburn said.

"[It] had to have been my adrenaline.  It had to have been seeing somebody suffer like that.  He was an older man and just hearing him cry help, it was pretty heartbreaking."

"I'm disabled," Shanburn added.  "I'm very scared of water."

Mr. and Mrs. Owens dropped off a thoughtful thank you card and there was some cash inside to help express their gratitude.

"She didn't want to take it, but we insisted," Owens said.  "Kristy, I love you honey.  She's a sweetheart.  I owe you a lot."

"He was so worried about his dog.  He just kept thanking me and thanking me," Shanburn said.  "It's human nature.  Anybody would do it."

There was another man that helped Shanburn bring Owens to safety.  He called 911, but did not stick around for a thank you.

NY brothers invent machine that makes CPR easier

Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:40 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:40:57 GMT
    Only 10 percent of people who get CPR from a bystander actually survive. But two young men in Westchester County have now patented a device that could dramatically increase those odds and save lives. John and Chris DiCapua's sitting room in their parents' Westchester County home has had a unique guest lying around for quite a while now: a CPR dummy. What began as an idea from their time as Boy Scouts is now a device that could potentially save lives.

NYC stores with no signs feed curiosity

Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:31:37 GMT
    From coffee shops in Brooklyn to restaurants in Manhattan, we find speakeasies standing out by blending in. When people in Bushwick want a green machine juice blend they visit Leticia Castillo's Owl Juice Pub. But first they must find the owl. "We been doing fine without a sign," Castillo says.

Ex-Councilman Halloran quickly convicted in bribery plot

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:53 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:53:04 GMT
    A jury took only about 90 minutes Tuesday to convict former New York City Councilman Daniel Halloran of bribery charges in a scheme to buy a spot on the mayoral ballot for state Sen. Malcolm Smith. Halloran was also found guilty of taking payoffs from what he thought were developers who wanted him to funnel city money their way. The men were actually an FBI agent and an FBI informant.

Mark Schauer says he will not sign the 'no tax pledge'

Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:13 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:13:01 GMT
    The Democratic candidate for governor Mark Schauer says he will not sign the no tax pledge, and says he probably would have sent Detroit in bankruptcy if he had been governor.

Three arrested after military reservist killed during carjacking

Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 23:01:39 GMT
    A third suspect is under arrest in the carjacking and murder of a young man outside the Superland Market at Schoolcraft Road and Rutland Street Monday night.

Duggan bringing big changes to Detroit water department, starting with shutoffs

Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:56:25 GMT
    Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan is promising big changes at the water department, starting with the controversial shutoffs."Certainly it has hurt the reputation of the city," Duggan said. "I have been anxious to do something about it for awhile and I am just glad I have a chance to do it,"Emergency Manager Kevyn Orr handed over the water department to the mayor and City Council TuesdayDuggan says better publicizing assitance programs is the biggest priority."I still don't think the people in need h...