Woman rescues man and his dog from Clinton River - New York News

Woman rescues man and his dog from Clinton River

Kristy Shanburn rescued a man and his dog from the Clinton River. Kristy Shanburn rescued a man and his dog from the Clinton River.
STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. (WJBK) -

Kristy Shanburn and her son were wrapping up one of their regular trips to Dodge Park in Sterling Heights on Tuesday.

Snuffy jumped into the Clinton River after a goose.  The one-year-old Bichon tried her best to paddle back to shore, but she could not get out.

"Struggling, kept going under, the current was taking it really quick," Shanburn said.  "I had to lay on my belly and grab her."

"Then we heard somebody screaming help.  We ran down until we found him, and there was the man in the water."

76-year-old Bob Owens tried to grab Snuffy, but the force of the water was too strong for him to reach her.  He ended up hanging onto a stump.

"I fell in.  I went head over heals, and it was deep.  I went down under water, and by the time I got myself up and I grabbed hold of the stump that was there... [Snuffy's] going down the river," he said.

"I reached out, and I grabbed his arm.  He grabbed me, and we were able to pull him to safety," Shanburn said.

"[It] had to have been my adrenaline.  It had to have been seeing somebody suffer like that.  He was an older man and just hearing him cry help, it was pretty heartbreaking."

"I'm disabled," Shanburn added.  "I'm very scared of water."

Mr. and Mrs. Owens dropped off a thoughtful thank you card and there was some cash inside to help express their gratitude.

"She didn't want to take it, but we insisted," Owens said.  "Kristy, I love you honey.  She's a sweetheart.  I owe you a lot."

"He was so worried about his dog.  He just kept thanking me and thanking me," Shanburn said.  "It's human nature.  Anybody would do it."

There was another man that helped Shanburn bring Owens to safety.  He called 911, but did not stick around for a thank you.

Suspect arrested in dismembered Brooklyn woman murder case

Thursday, July 24 2014 1:49 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:49:20 GMT
    Police say they arrested and charged a suspect in connection with the murder of a Brooklyn woman whose body parts were discovered in Bay Shore. Suffolk County homicide squad and the US Marshals NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Leah Cuevas, 42, on Wednesday night. Cuevas lived on 346 Sumpter Ave. in Brooklyn, the same address as the victim, Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, 27. Cuevas was charged with second-degree murder and held overnight at Suffolk's Fourth Precinct.

Mom: 4-Year-Old banned from doughnut shop

Thursday, July 24 2014 1:34 PM EDT2014-07-24 17:34:41 GMT
    4-year-old Justin Otero is a curious guy, but his curiosity got him into some trouble at his local Connecticut doughnut shop.

State ends hunt for snake in Lake Hopatcong

Thursday, July 24 2014 12:58 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:58:56 GMT
    Reports of a 16-foot-long exotic snake slithering around New Jersey's largest lake are apparently a suburban legend or the snake just isn't hungry.
    A 16-foot-long exotic snake reportedly slithering around New Jersey's largest lake is apparently a suburban legend. Or the snake just isn't hungry. The state has stopped looking for the reptile after scientists failed to find any evidence of it in Lake Hopatcong and traps baited with chicken were left untouched. Three unconfirmed sightings this month of a snake, perhaps an anaconda as long as 16 feet, raised concerns among visitors and swimmers.

General Motors profit declines 85% in 2Q

Thursday, July 24 2014 7:43 AM EDT2014-07-24 11:43:10 GMT
     General Motors says second-quarter profit fell 85 percent as recall costs chopped $1.5 billion from the bottom line.

Porch shooter: I didn't know gun was loaded

Thursday, July 24 2014 12:48 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:48:56 GMT
    A suburban Detroit man who killed an unarmed woman on his porch immediately suggested to police it was an accident and that he didn't know his shotgun was loaded, according to recorded remarks played in court Thursday.

Rehabilitation grants available for auction homes

Thursday, July 24 2014 12:45 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:45:20 GMT
    Homes eligible for $25,000 in forgivable rehabilitation grants are going on sale in a west side Detroit neighborhood. An online auction by the city's Land Bank Authority begins Thursday for eight houses in the Marygrove area.